When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vc Dress Watch

seagull11

I want to treat myself to a more dressy watch for Christmas (well that's the excuse I'm conjuring for another rep purchase!) :rolleyes:

I like the VC Malte Chronograph but wonder about the long-term life of the crown & tube with having to unscrew and wind every day (it will get a lot of wrist time I hope).

Two other VCs look nice on Josh's site: Perpetual Calendar and Malte Classique. They have the advantage of an ETA movement but I've not seen much discussion about them on the forum.

Anyone have any experience of these and can vouch for their quality and comment on their accuracy v genuine (I'm not a VC expert as you can tell)? And can anyone who's owned the Malte Chrono for a while, and used it regularly, advise how it's holding up?

Many thanks

I've shied away from gold until now but it makes a nice contrast to all the SS. It appears that the plating is pretty good on many reps.

And gold watches are coming back into fashion: the London watch boutiques report that they're selling more than they have for years!

Most gold plating on reps is crap. Base metals are sometimes a mystery and I've known rep platings to brown sitting in the box unworn. As stated, there are exceptions in certain manufacturing runs, but the general quality of Chinese platings on gold watches is pretty poor.

I hope PVD golding on watches produces the revolution it has the potential to generate. A virtually indestructable titanium nitride gold colored coating that is beautiful and tough would be any reasonable persons preference over a real gold plating with a limited life span.

Are there any reps or gens that have this "PVD Gold" coating?

This one and others from Tissot. Hamilton also PVD coats in titanium nitride. Supposedly, it's as tough as other PVD scratch resistant titanium coatings.

155345-13882.jpg

I have this watch and it's pretty spectacular. A gold colored coating that will last forever. Will this revolutionize the watch and jewelry industry??? This coating is already widely used in the plumbing industry to "gold" fixtures and by the medical engineering people to coat indwelling devices.

Edited by crystalcranium

Most gold plating on reps is crap.

In that case, I have been incredibly lucky.

I have a couple of yg plated reps that are about six years old and there is not a mark on them.

Of the two rg plated reps pictured below, the VC was bought a couple of years ago, secondhand and the 147 came from Jos about a year ago. Not a mark on these, either.

To be fair, they don't get as much wear as my steel watches... but no sign of "browning in the box".

155369-13878.jpg

In that case, I have been incredibly lucky.

I have a couple of yg plated reps that are about six years old and there is not a mark on them.

Of the two rg plated reps pictured below, the VC was bought a couple of years ago, secondhand and the 147 came from Jos about a year ago. Not a mark on these, either.

To be fair, they don't get as much wear as my steel watches... but no sign of "browning in the box".

155386-13874.jpg

Not to doubt you, but the eye is very forgiving and filling with regards to the yellow color of gold and yellow colored base metals. My guess is if you put your 6 year old reps that get modest use next to new versions, you would see significant wear. It's like in woodworking when you put like structures close together, for example, spindle turnings for a railing, your eye looks for symmetry and can easily pick out variations. When you put some distance between them, like leg turnings for a table, your eye fills in the symmetry.