When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on Quarts Chrono Movement Reps

247Tinker

Opinions on Quarts Chrono Movement Reps

Guys - need your opinions and input. I have an empty spot in the watch case and was looking for a nice representation of a Chronograph using the Japanese Quarts Movement. The watch winder is full up. Been looking at some but would greatly appreciate other options and opinions

Here is what I have been looking at and my opinions.

• Omaga Planet Ocean Chrono - 2 Sub Dials in Blue, w/date at 6 O'clock. ( Issues Date looks a little small and the 3,6 & 9 markers are a little long) - But a nice piece!
  • IWC Aqua Timer Chrono 2009 Black Dial & Black w/Yellow Bezel all SS including Bracelet ( Issues the 12,3,6,& 9 markers look a little long) - This is my top choice so far!
  • Chopard Gran Turismo XL Chrono Mille Miglia - (Sub Dials are not correct to original) - Like the looks of the watch ...but!
  • Breitling TransOcean Unitime or Navitimer - I know nothing about Breitling!

I am a little picky on the face of the watch it should be as accurate as possible, but knowing these are Quarts movements the backs might be slightly different.

SS or leather bracelets are my preference - rubber or plastic is a hard sell!

My budget is $150 us plus or minus.

Quartzz movements always have the 3, 6, 9, 12 sub hands further towards the centre than mechanical movements, so the sub dials are more crowded together. (on all the quartz watches I've seen pictures of)

So I would definitely pick either a nice gen quartz, or a rep that has subtle sub dials that don't stand out. Or a quartz that doesn't have chrono - no sub dials to worry about :)

Fraggle42,

Yes Quartz..z! - I know! - you hear what I am writing - lol

I am seeing that the Quartz(z) movements have slightly different positioning. Do you and the others have any recommendations as to reps that are ...to close to call? I have spent hours perusing the trusted dealers and doing some comparing with an original pics and possibly I have not seen something that your "fresh eyes" might know of that could be an option for me to look at.

Just asking!

I picked up one of these on this forum

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=3621

Cost the same as a good rep, quartz, chrono, countdown timer, lap times, etc, etc, all the usual quartz stuff and I love it.

I've not really looked at quartz reps of mechanical originals so can't really help you if that's really what you are after.

If I'm not sure if I'll like a watch I'll buy a cheap mechanical rep (same price as the quartz rep anyway) and if I do like it I'll buy a decent rep and sell the cheap one to someone else to try.

Richard

Check out watcheden, they are well known for budget quartz models, they have quartz in same case set as the higher end models.

I've got a beater PO chrono and a beater Breitling abyss chrono. Both work great and feel really good!

Sixx. :bones:

Nikki6,

I have not purchased from Watcheden, but that is what spurred this post as I had seen a nice IWC Crono Quartz on "clearance". Still trying to identify which IWC it is a rep of? How was your experience with them?