When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The answer to the question nobody asked: H-Factory PAM188I and 196I

w0lf

So to keep this useful to a seasoned and novice member alike, the list is short and to the point.  Observations are based on Perfect Clones' photos which are in fact good enough to see most of the important stuff.

Meat & Potatoes:
+Midcase geometry (since it's I-series, the lugs are chunky so this actually looks to be fine).
+Bezel geometry (tall, good slopes, good engraving, maybe not quite as refined (slightly thicker) than genuine)
+Crown, period correct, with good polishing of the knurled part, correct rim thickness and nice bevels.
+Crown tube, period correct.
+Caseback looks good, just very minor font kerning issues nothing too serious.
+/-Pros: Superlume Cons: OEM lume does not glow like Predator's blood; if this is H-F's standard fare, it will be too bright. It's also a bit too white, I've only seen this almost pure white in much newer models.
+/-Crownguard looks acceptable, Pros: non-roller lever, geometry Cons: overpolished on the edges of screw holes and inside edges of the crown cutout, chamfered corners.
-Datefont too thin, just a bit too sunken and the datewindow looks to be in the 7750 position still so no ETA7753 swap with this dial.
-Movement, no matter how many "1:1, interchangeable with genuine" statements you see on the site, the movement is not a true ETA7753 clone, the video shows that the date change starts at 10PM.
-Date change pusher core is round, should be "hex" (or more correctly decagonal).
-Cardinal dial markers are just a tad thinner than should be.

Some things I can't see but I can assume based on experience with H-Factory watches:
+Crystal and A/R, will be quite good
-Case construction will not be OEM, the rehaut & the whole bezel will be press fit into the midcase insulated by a rubber o-ring gasket.

Conclusion:
What do you get for +$60 over the going rate for a corresponding 2010 Noob model?

Better crystal & A/R.  
Superlume (even if too bright and not entirely correct color, feels like it's a welcome feature).
Better, period correct crown, crown tube and crownguard lever.

Some areas that needed to be addressed (crownguard, datewindow position, movement) are still off, while in other areas there's even a step back (datechange pusher, cardinal marker thickness).  All this considering we've had the Noobs on the market for close to 3 years does not constitute an improvement to warrant additional cost in my opinion.