When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Screw down crown threads

fraggle42

Need a bit of advice from the watch doctors!

My "cheapie" 42mm pumpkin that I got a couple of weeks ago has a problem with the screw down crown not screwing down.

It was fine for a few days, and now the threads somewhere have gone.

The dealer has said to have a look and see which threads have gone, so I've popped the back and removed the crown.

The threads in the tube look OK to me, and the threads in the crown are impossible to see!

What normally goes? Crown or tube? I see the tube is a screw in tube so replacing it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd rather not have the first time experience of replacing the tube on my second favourite watch!

The pumpkin is the one with the body & strap from the expensive $300 version with a cheap movement ( the movement is actually all gold coloured and looks damn good quality to me with a good Omega rotor)

And I never knew the spring for the pusher in the crown was in the crown itself! :)

The dealer is happy to send me a new crown and tube, so I'm going to snap a couple of pics and send them.

On reps, either part may strip soon after arrival. This is a common problem with reps & something, along with having the movement professionally overhauled, that you should have corrected soon after you receive the watch. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time until the watch ends up in the bottom of a drawer.

On reps, either part may strip soon after arrival. This is a common problem with reps & something, along with having the movement professionally overhauled, that you should have corrected soon after you receive the watch. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time until the watch ends up in the bottom of a drawer.

I take it you mean replacement with a gen tube and crown?

Are these parts common to the 45mm and 42mm POs? I see a couple of gen tubes & crowns in M2M sales for 45mm but none for 42mm POs.

Gen crown and tubes ordered.

I'm not sure if the rep tube is a screw in or not, the hole in the case is threaded in the inside so it definitely looks as if it screws in, but some people have posted it's a press fit. Must be different versions of the rep cases.