When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016, "summer chilled"

blue.

Hello from Mediterranean EU B)

As currently here is as hot as it can get in a typical summer, wearing a watch with solid link bracelet is somehow not that comfortable as it should.

Nor is the Explorer 1016 with solid link/folded link bracelet (in my mind) compatible with a sweaty wrist.

So I tried a spare NATO strap I had for another watch, just out of curiosity on my MBW Explorer 1016 and here is the result:

Watch:

MBW Explorer 1016

ETA 2824-1 gen

Spring bars- gen spec. "FASCI"

Bracelet NATO 18mm

The NATO strap was in my watch parts case for about a year. I had purchased it together with another colour combination in order to test which one would sit better on another vintage watch (heritage gen with 18mm lug width).

So, I was tempted to try out the navy blue & yellow NATO on the Explorer and the result surprised me positively.

I know the width of the strap should be 20mm but if you examine the current combination, a bit thinner NATO (18mm) is less dominant on the Explorer, allowing the case to "shine" more than the strap. If we speak about the experience of wearing the watch in the hot summer, the NATO strap allows the case to sit a bit higher on the wrist, so more air circulates around wrist and watch, further the weight of the 1016 is reduced for sure by 3/5.

Personally, I think the Explorer 1016 is best worn with the solid link/folded link bracelet but a NATO strap brings in some diversity. As soon as the temperatures fall, the solid link bracelet will be back on the Explorer.

Get yourself a couple of NATO's, they get pretty rank, pretty fast when you wear them in the summer heat. Where I live the temp is in the 90's every day for months, and the humidity is always 70-80 %, except after a rain then it's 90+ and 100% humidity. You are soaked with sweat all day if outside. Nice thing about the NATO, you can take it off easily, wash it by hand with soap and water, or throw it in the wash! Washes that " 16 year old boy's tennis shoes" smell right out.

• Like 1