When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Gen Panerai Do You Believe Is More Bright?

V

What do you believe it is more bright  

19 members have voted

1. 1. from the two following options

• Painted
    • Sandwich

WOW... All of you believe that the sandwich is more bright?

There are two parts in the equasion.:

1. Sandwich may use more C3 paste

2. Painted though are more closer to the glass.

THis is the photo I have taken.. They may look the same but with naked eye there is a small difference...

156825-13523.jpg

Keep voting :)

i have the painted on my Pam gen and finepic superlume on rep Pam 111h. The painted is much brighter during the day. both charged in the dark look the same tho.

I agree.. although your comparison may not be so accurate because of the re-lumed Finepics dial (not made by a machine like a gen).

Nevertheless this is exactly the result I have seen.. I too believed that the sandwich dial will be brighter but that's not the case. :g:

The painted it is not very much brighter but if you look carefully you can understand the difference :)

I suspect you are right that the lume closer to the dial will shine slightly brighter. But here is the next question. Which one shines longer? :lol: I will guess sandwich as it has more lume but I have no idea.

Hmmmm.. shinny day again here.. Next scientific test ;)

At the moment I have only one gen Panerai with Luminor (+ 2 Tritiums) so I can't compare the painted with a sandwich dial. However I have always thought that the luminous material will get less exposure to light at the bottom of the sandwich cut-out, than the painted 'flat' dial in a similar situation. Also, marginally less light may be emitted through the same cut-out.

Consider it this way: if the top layer of the sandwich was 100mm thick it would be obvious that less light would enter and exit, to and from the lume, so there must be a decrease on a pro-rata basis that would result in a marginal decrease from a thin top layer.

Incidentally, the flat 'painted' dial on the genuine A-G series 44mm Panerai (and current 000 & 005) is also a sandwich with cut-outs for the markers. This will be apparent only when you view the dial through a loup. I had a F series 111 that had the black layer lifting slightly on the inner tight curves of the 2 (of 12) and 3 digits. Also, when photographed with side lighting, some dials display the edges of the top, black layer of the dials. This helps explain the crispness of the edges of the lume on the gen dials.

At the moment I have only one gen Panerai with Luminor (+ 2 Tritiums) so I can't compare the painted with a sandwich dial. However I have always thought that the luminous material will get less exposure to light at the bottom of the sandwich cut-out, than the painted 'flat' dial in a similar situation. Also, marginally less light may be emitted through the same cut-out.

Consider it this way: if the top layer of the sandwich was 100mm thick it would be obvious that less light would enter and exit, to and from the lume, so there must be a decrease on a pro-rata basis that would result in a marginal decrease from a thin top layer.

Incidentally, the flat 'painted' dial on the genuine A-G series 44mm Panerai (and current 000 & 005) is also a sandwich with cut-outs for the markers. This will be apparent only when you view the dial through a loup. I had a F series 111 that had the black layer lifting slightly on the inner tight curves of the 2 (of 12) and 3 digits. Also, when photographed with side lighting, some dials display the edges of the top, black layer of the dials. This helps explain the crispness of the edges of the lume on the gen dials.

It's always good to listen to the PAM experts ;)

Here a photo to show what you mean about the painted dials

157497-13260.jpg

Beautiful watch Kostas. That photo shows exactly what I meant. The top, black layer is not painted on a flat base but is a thin sandwich layer, which in the case of my (ex) 111 was beginning to lift on the inside of the bottom of the 2 and similarly on the 3. It makes for really crisp edges to the lume that can't be replicated by printing. I suppose that, given the sheer size of the dial and markers this is the only way to get good edges to the luminous material, in a way that isn't critical on smaller dials or dials with smaller expanses of lume.

• 2 weeks later...