When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP RO winding problem

rionrlty

Hey guys I need some advice.  I just purchased an AP RO chronograph in and M2M transaction.  First the rotor action is noisy but I've experience this before, with other watches, without winding problems.  I first noticed that the power reserve was very short but it would run fine while I wore it.  Then I discovered that when I wound the watch manually it would get to a certain point and then I could hear the rotor turning by itself, as if it were winding down or something.  Does anyone know what is wrong and why it is doing this?  Any possible remedies?

I have a AP survivor that did the exact same thing as you described.  It couldn't have been more than 5 months old.  All of the sudden it would stop, even though I keep it on a winder when not worn.  It would be fine when I wore it.  I too could hear the rotor spin/move as I turned the crown.  This whole thing lasted about 2 weeks.  I was about to get it serviced, but it stopped doing any of that and has kept normal time now for about 3 months. 

I'll let you know if I experience any other problems, but I suspect this is a design flaw.  Feel free to ask any other questions. 

yep. happened to my hublot as well.

try to open the rotor, clean the ball bearing in the middle, and all the other gears surrounding (reversing wheel) , and of course, you need to remove the bridge first ..

then re-oiled it... and install them all back.

if you dont have oil, just googled around. plenty on ebay too.