When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality question...

Omega_Bond

Hi all!

Been reading and studying the forum for a bit, and I'm looking forward to my first purchase. Be gentle as I just trying to wrap my head around all of this. There is just so much info out there....

A few questions: (and yes, I've searched. I'm just so new, I'm not sure what questions to ask, and search for.)

1) in terms of just general watch quality, how do the Omega reps stand up? Are these good watches? A PO cost nearly 20 times the price of these reps. Are they 1/20th quality?

2) Dealers. If they all sell the same watches, how does one choose a dealer? Flip a coin? Reading reviews, it seems that they all have supporters. At the moment, I'm leaning toward trusty, solely because their site is easier to get around for me. Is that a reasonable reason?

3). Like so many first timers, I'm looking at a PO, black, 42mm. It appears that the two favorites at the moment are the LMPO and the CrPo. Am I right? Why?

Many speak of the 'Noob' PO surely to come out, how do you feel these will be better? ( am I the only one that finds the irony in that a noob forum poster is asking about noob watches? Life is full of humor!). Are they worth the wait?

4) maintaining a rep. How does one go about this? How much should I expect? I know there are several folks on the forum they do this, but can I find someone to do this in NYC?

Thanks, folks, in advance. I really appreciate any info you can help with.

When you look at replica watches, you will notice that the quality varies wildly from awful garbage to "almost as good as genuine" ~ the owner of Hublot once famously stated that the replicas were better than his watches.

You have to use the tools we give you here to find out which are good solid pieces and which are best left where they are in China. When you buy from a reputable dealer, you can normally abide by the old saying "you get what you pay for" .. if you pay $80 at a dealer, you will receive a low end replica which may be fun to wear but will be nowhere close to the original piece in quality. Spending $250+ is a the other side of that spectrum. \

As far as dealers go, if you stick to the forum-recommended stores, you will get the watch you purchased, and if it is broken on arrival they will offer to fix it or if it is seized by customs in your country, they will re-send a new one. Every dealer varies beyond this by cost or service level .. some hold your hand and return emails within an hour but charge more .. some don't reply quickly but charge less .. it's up to you to decide who you want to deal with.

Quality replica watches use either genuine Swiss movements or Chinese duplicates of these movements. Servicing them is easy for anyone who is qualified to work on a watch. Some replicas use the Asian 21j movement, and if this breaks you can buy a new one for $30 and simply change it out.

JKay-

Thank you very much for the well written reply. I appreciate your input, and the experience it wells from.

So, if a person buys a upper echelon rep, they are indeed purchasing a well made timepiece. That's reassuring, and good news.

Am I correct then in assuming that the LMPO and the CrPO differ in the details in terms if replica value, and are both good watches?

They both seem to have some pretty glaring faults: fading or smudging numbers on bezel, messed up logos and numbers. How does the Noob version fit in?

Edited by Omega_Bond

I am not a current-gen Planet Ocean expert. I have one, and also a 2 or 3 year old model, but I don't follow the brand like other people here do. I can't offer in-depth advice but I can make a couple of comments:

The bezel "fading" is caused by the factory's use of paint on the ceramic insert. The genuine watch has actual metal numerals inlayed within the ceramic material. If you use an abrasive polishing cloth or a cloth containing chemicals to clean the bezel insert, you will erode the painted numbers. It's not a "fault" per-se but something about which you must be aware when you clean your watch. My ceramic PO has never suffered fading but I have never used Cape Cod polishing cloth on the painted numerals.

As far as good quality replicas being durable: I have to say that the only troubles I've had with any of the 25+ watches I own is with the movements and that can happen to any watch; genuine or replica. Oh .. and screws ;) If you buy a watch with lots of screws, check them for tightness periodically unless you like the sensation of your watch suddenly coming loose and snaking down your arm into a trash pail :clap2:

• 4 months later...