When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question On A Eta 2671-2.

gioarmani

My girl has a Ladies Datejust model with the gold-plated 2671-2 movement in it. I found it running extremely fast (20-30 min a day) after I had over-oiled it, and took it to have it serviced & rebuilt a couple weeks ago. I got it back Tuesday, and I find it's still running about a minute or so fast a day.

I shot some pics of the movement itself and labeled the only 3 parts (I know of) to adjust the beat/timing of the watch. It seems like nothing I do can properly regulate the watch--either it runs a little fast, or it runs a lot fast:

158432-13020.jpg

Looking at the picture above, I find that the closer you move B towards A, the movement runs a lot faster (I'm guessing because it shortens the stroke on the part with the spring). I haven't tried moving A towards B yet, as I figure this will have the same effect.

On another Ladies Eta 2671-2 she has, I've got the watch regulated to my computer's digital clock and it's almost exact to the second every day. On that particular watch, I never had to adjust A or B, because C seemed to to the trick. On the other watch (using this pic as an example) if you turned C toward the left (clockwise) it slowed the movement down, and sped it up if you turned it to the right (counter clockwise). I'm guessing unless somehow these two 2671's are different, the same apply to this one as well?

On the above movement, I've got A & B about as far apart from each other as they'll go and have C all the way to the left (which seems to be slower on the other movement). Now in the 15 minutes it's taken me to shoot & write this, the watch shown above is already running 2 seconds or so fast. Am I going about this the wrong way, or is there anything else I can do to properly get this watch regulated? And is it possible that this particular 2671 is just a piece of garbage?

Thanks again for your assistance.

(Here's a shot from the opposite side of the same movement, if you need it)

158432-13021.jpg

There are two parts to timekeeping...

1. the beat of the watch

2. the rate or how fast or slow it runs...

Without a timing machine to check each parameter, and ensuring that the beat is correct, your just guessing at the adjustments...you may be able to get it running good, but it's hit and miss and a lot of work...and if the beat is out, it could vary from running fast to running slow...

When this was serviced, the beat and rates should have been adjusted, and the watch should be within 10-20 seconds per day...

You really need a analyzer like this one to set this up, it tells you exactly what is going on...

158743-12869.jpg

I suggest you take it back to the shop, and watch as they put it on the analyzer and do the adjustments...

RG

It's adjusted by moving the stud hairspring arm, on yours it should be the stud with the silver colour.

You need a timing machine to check it out as you adjust it.

RG

I've been told to not mess with the beat adjustment unless I have a vibrograph to set it exactly for what the watch movement is designed for. I was told when you mess with beat, you affect how the pallet stones strike the pallet wheel and can cause excessive wear. 90 seconds a day should be a simple regulation adjustment which means you are varying the legnth of the regulator spring, not changing the beat.

How exactly did you oil this watch????? I'm smelling watch movement skills close to mine in you and that means I fear the worst!!!!!

Movement oiling is a VERY delecate precise operation requiring disassembly of the movement and the use of special oils. Hope you didn't give it a shot with WD-40 :)

• 3 years later...