When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding an F.A. Jones

mr_slippery

I've got two F.A. Jones reps inbound after a weekend buying spree. I am interested in doing some mods to one of them, so want to start by picking the forum's collective brain if I can. I will post progress updates as the project goes on.

I've got a steel case/white dial/blue hands&numbers/decorated Asian movement one and a steel case/black dial/silver hands&numbers/decorated Asian movement one coming. Both with mineral crystals. I'm well aware that there was no steel/black dial/silver gen but am just a sucker for that color combo, so probably won't do much to change that one. Good news is the white one came with two gen croc Donerix straps, so I'm all set on that front.

Anyway, mods I'd like to do -- in order of ease/likelihood of success -- are: (1) replace crystals with double-AR sapphire; (2) get longer gen-spec hands; and (3) have the white dial refinished and numbers repainted to look more like the gen.

Re 1, someone previously posted that this helenarou crystal would fit: http://bit.ly/1iJBtps

If anyone could confirm before I order them I'd appreciate it. I know the gen did not have AR, but I like the look better.

Re 2, the stock minute hand is a good 1 or 2 mm too short to reach the indices like the gen does. I'm hoping to find the right length ones from Ofrei:

http://www.ofrei.com/page506.html

Re 3, does anyone have a recommendation of a modder who could do the dial work (if it even can be done)? Basically I'm looking for the IWC version of RolexAddict....

Thanks in advance for any help -- I'm well aware of the folly of spending hundreds to mod a $150 rep, but I fell in love with the look of it and now want to make it perfect.

• 5 months later...