When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Decided To Tear Apart My El Cheapo "submarinergmt"

section8

So in anticipation of shortly getting a GOOD Sub rep and doing some crown guard mods to it, I decided to tear down this POS "SubmarinerGMT" i got from a friend for like $35 last year. I've worn this watch about 12 times I think.

I used Edge's Guide to tear down. (Thanks Edge! )

First shot of this lovely piece:

160138-12425.jpg

Check out the SPOT ON date mag of the cyclops:

160138-12426.jpg

160138-12427.jpg

The case back gave me quite a chuckle:

160138-12428.jpg

I was surprised to see an effort at an O-Ring on the case back:

160138-12429.jpg

Just like Edge's watch used in his guide, this is obviously a cheap movement with the plastic retaining...dealie

160138-12430.jpg

160138-12431.jpg

I have no idea what cheap movement this is, I'm still learning all this. Maybe someone else can enlighten me.

The high quality hologram sticker came off on my first attempt to remove the case back.

160138-12432.jpg

Crown:

160138-12433.jpg

Here I was trying to get a shot of the inside of the barrel I guess it is called? Anyway - As I said before I've worn this watch about 12 times. The inside of the barrel is very dirty - as was the crown and stem itself

160138-12434.jpg

Oh NOES! Disaster has struck! i'll never be able to wear this masterpiece again! Using Edge's "highly technical method" I tried to push the crystal out with my thumb. I guess it was glued...(note my blood on one shard :lol: )

160138-12435.jpg

Here on the case you can see shards of the 'crystal' still attached

160138-12436.jpg

More high quality evidence on the band

160138-12437.jpg

160138-12438.jpg

160138-12439.jpg

The whole thing disassembled (minus crystal)

160138-12440.jpg

All in all, a good learning experience. I haven't started modifying the CGs yet, I'll do that later. I'm sure this has been done countless times before, but I thought it may be interesting to someone.

If you didn't toss it into the garbage, I could find a happy home for that crown... it is better than the one on my pos GMT.

When I'm done using the case as a mod learning tool, it's all yours. I just want to keep the crown while modifying the CGs so i can get a look at my work. I'll shoot you a PM or something when I'm done.

This is the best way to learn,,,,grind those suckers good :lol: Maybe somedays when you are good enough, I will send you mine for mods. Your in VA?? I live in MD.

We'll see how this goes first ;) I need to source some jewelers files before I start grinding away anyway. Wonder if i can find those local or if I'll have to get them off the net...