When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aging White Dial

cls

Just bought a vintage 40s Rolex from Josh and was wondering if anyone has experience in making a white face look vintage. I was thinking of tea staining or coffee staining the dial such as rug makers do. If anyone has successfully aged a white dial, let me know.

Here is the Josh rep and a gen vintage similar.

post-3611-1165102110_thumb.jpg

post-3611-1165102169_thumb.jpg

I know an (unscrupulous) coin and antique collector who "tones" coins that way. Believe me, you can smell the finished product for some time. He says the smell goes away after a few months but the color remains.

I wonder if some coats of oil paint, umber/ brown/yellow etc, lightly apllied then rubbed off w/ a rag will do a more accurate job.

For the case you might also want to read up on some of the techniques antique and coin doctorers use to to give metal an age patina.

The good thing about smoking a dial would be that the possible smell would be trapped into the case, so in theory the watch itself wouldn't smell hopefully. Thought about dipping our painting a dial with cold tea but was unsure if the result would be good since it could dissolve maybe some print/lume or just give large irregular staining.

Anyone succesfully tried any dial smoking or tea dipping?

I've aged a white dial with coffee/chicory blend. the chicory is extreme dark and great for patina on a white dial - just don't go overboard. also - try a dark blend from an eye shadow or blush- as your significant other for help....

on the topic of using womens makeup - make sure there is not "sparkles" in the make up, or you will have a rolesium aged dial - not exactly what you are looking for. although - you have a few chances with the make up - coffee and tea not so much.

Have thought about aging a dial by putting it in an empty Nescafe glass jar filled with cigar smoke for a while :D but haven't got around doing it yet

Somebody on TRC did something like this to a 111H dial in order to tone down the bold (too bold) PANERAI LUMINOR MARINA print and posted pics of the result. I think it worked very well.