When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Aqua Terra- is it too early?

afrodesiac

Hey people,
Merry Christmas Eve if you celebrate. But i'm not here to sing you carols... I've got a few questions to ask regarding buying a new rep from a dealer.
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger very soon on the new Seamaster Aqua Terra with the black dial and white numerals at Trusty Time. It's a great looking model IMHO and though I know the men that sell them are salesmen, the features in the listing seem like a decent deal. (Though apparently the AR is nonexistent).

Thing is, the model is new (listed December 6th- two weeks ago) and I don't believe anyone on here has it, and believe it's in its first run. I viewed the Aqua Terra request thread earlier and saw that someone had received the Captain's Edition, though not without finding some issues, which is to be expected.

So here's my question: Am I being too hasty in my purchase? Does anyone have experience with buying a brand new replica from a dealer? I've seen plenty QC issues in my reading but is it worse in the first run, or does it seem to be a luck of the draw thing? 

Thanks for the time, and have a great holiday.

Afro

Pardon if i'm not allowed to post links, didn't see it in the rules and I'm pretty new. But here it is..
ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=11482

I was the one buying the Captain's, and have since decided to just save up for the gen.

You have to expect that the movement is very bad. I noticed on mine around 1 week ago that the power reserve went from 40 to 36 hours. It goes some more if you shake it again.

That is the exact same problem one of my cheap DG2813's had.

Too bad I don't know how to change the movement, because watch itself can easily compare to my recent purchase, the $1050 Seiko SDGC027.

But for now it still works just fine, 36 hour reserve is good enough, altough my Seiko has an enormous 58 hour.

I was the one buying the Captain's, and have since decided to just save up for the gen.

You have to expect that the movement is very bad. I noticed on mine around 1 week ago that the power reserve went from 40 to 36 hours. It goes some more if you shake it again.

That is the exact same problem one of my cheap DG2813's had.

Too bad I don't know how to change the movement, because watch itself can easily compare to my recent purchase, the $1050 Seiko SDGC027.

But for now it still works just fine, 36 hour reserve is good enough, altough my Seiko has an enormous 58 hour.

Thanks for the info and your original comments on it which I saw over in the request thread. I've heard that Pure time is working on their own iteration which sounds promising, though I have no history of the factory it's being made from or the time frame that it'll be released in, so I'm hoping to get an update on that soon. They used the "Swiss" movement in yours didn't they? Seeing more and more that the Swiss movements coming out of the rep factories are subpar