When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OMPO42 Amplitude, B E Etc...

bedbug

Hi all, 

Quite a longtime member here but just now leaving lurking-mode. Great forum w. vast amounts of information. However, reading the Omega area always make me want to buy new watches.

I used to collect old Constellations from 50's - 60's but has now sold off most of them only keeping a few gems. Stopped wearing these old watches  (much due to the fact that old automatics, specially bumpers, really do not react good to things like mountain-biking). Have mix of gens and reps today including a rep of Seamaster 300 Pro (black w big hour markers - best design ever) that I bought from King almost 10 years ago I think. That cheap asia 21 J still running like a charm (kinda bad power reservw tough).

However, I just caved in and bought a 42 mm OMPO - old style, no ceramic, the "ult" version w. swiss Eta 2824-2 from Andrew. Got the QC pics today and it looks as expected - really good. Better than stock pics really.

But I do have a question here about the numbers showing on the "machine".

I found these numbers explained in a post by md2020, thanks btw. BUt it says a healthy movement shoulf fall inthe interval of 285 - 310 deg (amp).

The readings om my watch was:

Rate: +8 sec

Amp: 280 deg

B.E: 0,0ms

Is this a keeper even if it falls short of 285 - 310? Is this of big significance since it's due to change quite soon after winding?

Thanks again for a great forum.

Oh, BTW. I spend quite a lot of time in Vietnam (Hanoi) due to work. Quite a few stores there w. a huge number of different reps. Between 40 - 80 USD without any bargaining. Probably half if u bother to bargain. Mainly really cheap knockoffs and a LOT of fantasy models. Mainly asian 21 J or quartz and the quality isn't what u call stellar. One day I will do a survey...

/richard

Well, as per usual the answer seems to be "utfg" - use the effin' google. Found quite a lot of info through some searches. Problem is that the information differs.

Firstly, it seems there's some agreement round the fact that these kind of numbers in qc pics is for "smoking in a pipe" as someone put it. That new movements need to be "worn in". Some sources have my amplitude as well within what's acceptable.

This leads to another question that's not related to QC, but rather to interest. Since the amplitude is a measurement of the balance-wheel "swing" and , and this being controlled by the spring, will the amplitude grow as the spring gets older and, as I imagine, -also weaker?

Is my logic totally out of bounds here?

However, will ask trusty to ship the watch. Cannot find any obvious flaws in the pics. Anybody have specifics to watch out for in this model? Pearl being centered, numerals and logo in right place. Lune fill - hard to tell from QC-pics due to light reflections in the lume frame.

Can't tell you whether this little lower amplitude is so bad but basically swis etas are used one. This means they are probably lacking the oil and/or are dirty. Can't garuantee that its true for your movement. However, if you receive the watch and it's a keeper send it to a good repfriendly watchmaker who will service it for you. Then it's definitely gonna last long ;)