When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Pam 090 Question

maxse

Hi guys. So I am finally considering a Panerai after initially thinking they are ugly lol. I want one with an auto movement though as accurate to the gen as possible.

So how close is the PAM 090 to the gen assuming I get it lumed. Also how much can I expect to pay to have it lumed and put an AR coating on the crystal (doesnt seem like the asian movement ones(21J) have AR coated saphire)? Thanks in advance guys.

If what you especially want is the closeness with the gen, the 090 is not the best way to go. The date-change pusher on a side (which all PR asian 21J have) is a giveout on closeness. And, in case, be sure to get a model with solid (not see-through) caseback.

If, on the contrary, you want a solid, nice looking watch with the added bonus of PR (which I greatly appreciate as my favourite complication), without spending a fortune on a 2892-A2 model, then the 090 is a good choice.

But in this case you might also want to consider the 027.

About AR coating, it is quite expensive. Check the posts by Finepics (for EU based AR) and chieftang (US based).

wow awesome pics. Thanks.

I am a bit concerned about closeness because I dont want to be called out on it by some friends who can simply look up the watch and see what it looks like online and see that I Was BSing.

I am not too cencerned with the PR. I just want an auto Panerai with a sweeping seconds hand. Any suggestions on a closer one to the gen that is also an auto?

I am not too cencerned with the PR. I just want an auto Panerai with a sweeping seconds hand. Any suggestions on a closer one to the gen that is also an auto?

If you are OK with 40mm models, to me your best option is this 050 from Joshua. It is already perfect right out of the box, no need to modifiy anything like crown, date, cyclops or so. Even the numbers on the back are correct. Even experts would have troubles in telling it from the genuine without opening it.

My 2nd choice is its bigger (44mm) brother, this 104 also from Joshua.

But in this case if you want it perfect you need to replace the crown (even if I strongly doubt that your friends can call it out if they are not Paneristi or rep nuts like us).

Edit: I removed my suggestions for the 111 as I just recalled you are interested on autos.

awesome suggestions thanks. Thing is that I do not want to have the 7750 movement, and it has to be 44mm. Main reason I started liking the PAMs is because of its size.

Also I would prefer the 21J movement since it is much cheaper and seems to be pretty reliable.

Will the 090 be able to fool people? I mean how obvious is that date adjusting thingy (no idea what it is obviously)? Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

awesome suggestions thanks. Thing is that I do not want to have the 7750 movement, and it has to be 44mm. Main reason I started liking the PAMs is because of its size.

Also I would prefer the 21J movement since it is much cheaper and seems to be pretty reliable.

Will the 090 be able to fool people? I mean how obvious is that date adjusting thingy (no idea what it is obviously)? Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

That date adjusting thingy is a small, flat button (called a pusher) on the left side of the watch. No gen has it, and it is spottable from 3 meters away.

Also the 21J 104 from Joshua is quite good. I have it on my wrist right now, it is my daily beater and I am very pleased with it.

But if you want it accurate you need to replace the crown, and to get one of the new forecoming chieftang's 7mm cyclopses to increase date magnification.

The inscription on the caseback are not consistent with the model (especially, no 'divers professional' in the gen), but your friends are not supposed to know, are they?

Crystal is glass, not sapphire, so you might also want to replace it with an AR coated sapphire.

On the other hand, the lume and overall dial look are very very good.

Asian 21J is a solid movement (and I love it), but it also is inexpensive so it goes with inexpensive replicas, and inexpensive replicas are rarely accurate without modding...

If you want Power Reserve and don't wan't to pay up for 2892 A2 (well worth it though), then you can do what I am doing. I start with a 222 (brushed SS case with a stunning dial), relume to C-3 super lume hspec, and replace the case with date pusher on the side with a solid case. It should look pretty darn good. The only downside is you have to keep it on a winder when not wearing it or be prepared to keep cranking the hands around until you get to the right date. Sounds ridiculous but mine is with Ziggy as we speak and I am hoping to get it back shortly.