When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Economy Vs Luxury :-)

B12b12

Hi all 

On web sites like silix they advertise economy and better quality watches ....

I understand about movements but was wondering generally ,,,,, 

would say a $110 watch have the same case and strap as a $300 watch ? or is the difference purely the movement / working chromo etc etc 

Thank you 

S

Some have he same case, dial, hands etc. some don't. If it comes from the same maker it is more likely that the two versions share the same components. This is of course for the Swiss ETA vs Asian ETA. The 21j is likely not thus share the exact same dial and hands as they have different specs. They might have been made by the same dial maker but might not. There are usual noticeable differences between the cheapie (21j) and the more expensive (eta clone and Swiss).

Hi and welcome. Silix has the very cheapest offerings from all TD as much as I know in the economy section, but they are different (inferior) watches. These are my personal opinions: Lume is inexistent or so bad it lasts +- 1 minute so You should also stay away from that particular section unless:

1.) You are buying exactly a rep that has been reviewed and posted and You want to buy the exact same;

2.) You want to strip it to get parts for another watch

3.) You want to try out size and general look on a 65 usd sample before ordering the 465 usd more genuine-like rep.

4.) You need a very cheap quartz

Other TD´s like Trusty, Toro, etc specify if it´s the exact and same, casing, lume, etc. of the expensive ones and if the only difference is the movement. In this case - and it´s again only my opinion You get exactly the same watch but better parts go into the Asian and Swiss eta´s and the less good dials/hands etc. into the cheaper 2813 watches. This being said I have really excellent 2813´s but also let´s say "not so well aligned/good" Asian Eta´s in the end a little luck is necessary with both. What I also do have is some very good quality (but economical) reps with quartz movement and I think for the time being the Chinese manufactures are simply "better" at making/assembling quartz watches than autos. It´s all a question of which flaw You can better live with but in the end You only will know after You have the watch. Good luck.