When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7-10 years ago it was easy...(to find a vintage rolex)

F.Castro

To find a vintage rolex with a nice and crisp case, now days i find it more and more harder and when you find them the price is sky rocket!

The prices when it comes to vintage sport rolex watches are crazy. Anyone ells that has the same feeling?

Im on the hunt for gmt RB, but when i find the one that has everything i ask for then the price is going to be crazy :(

Yes they are. Even now the prices are amazingly high if you want a crisp case with bevels ect. Next one i see on vrf or in real life that meets my standards i will not pass, i will not think about it for a day or two, i will crab it directly becuse like you said prices will get more and more crazy.

Im not a fan of paying the asking price myself, but the thing is, now days there are more people getting intrested in the rolex vintage line, new comers that dosent have any ide of what they are buying when it comes to case, dial, hands ect. Thats way they grey market sellers will always find a buyer for the already over prices watch.. Well well, the future will tell.

these watches are getting older and older, most have been worn and worn hard, so finding a "safe queen" sports model is tough. Another thing, the vintage guys are like an exclusive country club, "members only" I can guarantee when someone finds a pristine watch, if it's not what they are collecting, they call a friend who is a collector of that particular model. the guy who finds it expects the same courtesy in return, so if the other person happens on something he calls his friend. most of the really good stuff never sees the light of day, those guys grab it and it's in a collection somewhere. Only the nice, but not collector quality gets on the VRF marketplace. Not to say their aren't some really nice watches that come through there, but the really, really special ones don't get sold that way, at least among members of the "Club". Another thing, when crazy money gets into anything, be it vintage watches , vintage cars, Art, antique furniture, the prices are going to go up, because those folks don't flinch  one bit at paying top dollar for what they want. they have plenty of money, and they want more "things".