When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai model numbers

pwygant

Greetings,

I have been reading around for about a year now on the old board and then the new board and I jsut don't get all the Panerai numbers. I tried to search for posts that describes some of this more in detail but even visiting the official Panerai website I can't nail it down.

Why is it that for example some people refer to the original Panerai Luminor Chrono Daylight and some people only refer to it by the PAMS196 number? Does it change the number when a differnt strap is attached? Also, I just received my first flyback and some refer to this model as the Flyback 1950 PANS40 and on the Panerai website it details only as the PAM 212.

Cheers! :yeah:

Edited by pwygant

Most of what you are referring to relates to nomenclature. PAM strictly goes by the numbers. For instance the Daylight refers to the 196, the 196 does says Daylight on the caseback refering to the Stallone movie which this watch was commisioned for. 188 was also referred to as a Daylight and has a white dial. But at the end of the day stick with the model numbers, And yes, the identical watch with a different dial or made out of different materials or with metal bracelet can be a different model number. It is the whole limited edition thing.

Keep your PAM life easy though. Stick with the numbers. :D

Also, I just received my first flyback and some refer to this model as the Flyback 1950 PANS40 and on the Panerai website it details only as the PAM 212.

I see that with some of your numbers, you are mixing Panerai's model numbers with a dealer's stock number and those are not the same. Panerai uses PAMXXX in their numbering system. Go to the paneristi web site and look at their REFERENCE section, they have a list of watches by number. Very handy. Also they have grouped sections by type/style. With this you can 'key' the model you want, learn it's model number which most people here will refer to, that, or the marketed model name ... nicknames and aka's you will just have to learn on the street