When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Pam 239 Destro Submersible

swdivad

Just took delivery of this great piece, just different enough to tip me over the edge and buy it.

I really like destros, one reason on the practicality side and not having a crown or CG digging into the back of your hand, but the other for its aesthetics with seconds at 3 and crown at 9 makes changing watches so much less boring :laughing: ...

It took all of six days for Joshua to get this to me here in Oz... Not bad at all! Thank you Joshua, you've been perfect again!! :)

The strap pictured isn't what comes with the 239, I just had to get the OEM yellow coramid strap, I thought it to be the perfect match for this watch.

The Watch:

163601-11758.jpg

The crown on this baby is GREAT!!! Nice and thick and sits right up against the case. Closing the CG lever pushes it tight against the seal, I haven't WP tested it yet, but I suspect it's pretty good.

The CG is also excellent on this and is a true destro CG with the lever pointing towards 12:00!!! Other destros we have are facing towards 6:00, which is wrong. The lever also closes perfectly flush with the outside diameter of the CG, which is one thing that I've seen mixed results with some of our reps. Thank you manufacturers for this! :D

163601-11759.jpg

Date wheel font is a not bold enough, maybe Lello will have a fix for us soon on that. :rolleyes:

Cyclops is much bigger than previous models and much closer to gen... Could be a bit stronger, but no big deal really.

Hour markers and lume seem to be perfectly applied and of good quality. The lume seems to be brighter than what we are used to in other models, as it glows bright right out of daylight, but of course dies down quickly in comparison to gen C3.

163601-11760.jpg

The bezel is tight and the twelve detents click in perfectly. Well done.

163601-11761.jpg

These are powered by the new a7750/28,800, I suspect that the bugs are out of this movement now and have several models running it with no probs whatsoever.

The back is engraved very well... even came with a beautifully done extra fine TRL (not pictured sorry).

163601-11762.jpg

Caveats:

One unfortunate thing I've noticed on this right away is the polishing job between the lugs... It's not very good, but nothing that some scotch brite of a dremel can't fix.

163601-11763.jpg

The bezel and metal indicator dots could be finished off a little nicer too. On the gen, the dots are polished on the tops. These still have machine marks, another oversight that could be avoided without too much effort. The pearl is *fair*, but would have to look at a gen to make a fair comparison.

163601-11764.jpg

Conclusion:

Great piece, IMO...

Since it's new, I'll be wearing it for the next few days to see how the new relationship pans out, but all in all, I think it's an excellent Panerai rep for the casually inclined!

With a few mods like polish, relume, and maybe AR coat, this will be one of the top Panerai reps out there!

163601-11765.jpg

Excellent review! Initially I was to get one but I chickened out. The reason being, my eyes was set on EL's best fiddy. Been contemplating for quite a while now and decided to get it before it slips away. I was a new project to keep me busy now. :) This destro sub is one unique piece. I was smittened by it when I first saw it so much so that I almost made a hasty decision to.... ahh... nvm. :animal_rooster:

Great pics there and the crown looks thick and chunky. :)

Wear it well, cant wait to see it in person. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 year later...

Ah LOVELY machine ! :1a:

After reading all the reviews I couldn't stop myself from ordering one!

It should arrive within a week + one SS(all brushed) bracelet + a rubber diver strap!

As soon as I get it I'll take some pictures and post them here!

What are your impressions of the water resistance of this machine? Will it be good enough for pool swimming, or will it need an additional water proof job?

cheers