When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"rolex Crown Tube Hole Issue"

vaccum

Hi guys. I received a couple of subs (black and LV) for the crown tube and Gen Crown mod. After removing the rep crown I noticed that the crown tube was over the edge of the case :g:

Here is the pic

164202-11584.jpg

Then I removed the old Crown Tube to run the tap and countersink the hole and I saw this :blink:

164202-11585.jpg

The hole is not centered on the case....so it is impossible to countersink the hole to fit the new crown tube chamfer

Here is a pic with 3 different sub cases. The one on top is centered and the countersink was done no problem here...the next two are the ones with the "crown tube hole issue" <_<

164202-11586.jpg

I installed the new OEM crown tube and Gen crown on the black sub at the left and the LV is fitted with the rep crown and crown tube

164202-11587.jpg

Now to the Rolex Experts here...there is a way to get the Gen Crown closer to the case?

Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas!

Cheers, vaccum

id just contersink carefully and let it hang over teh edge somewhat. the crown closed will cover it anyways and the bevelled edge on the crown will fill in the gap when tightened fully and keep water out etc.

the only other way would be to fill in completely with something like "no nails" leave it to set and then redrill the case with a new hole closer to the middle.

of the two options, id take a bit of overhang every time but YMMV

There is no difference if a size 10 or 11/64 is used the situation still the same....1/4 of the crown tube chamfer will be out of the case.

vaccum

Ahhh...If that's what bothers you, then wightstuff hit it on the head. The triplock tube it what it is...you can't make it smaller, and you can't move the hole.

I have noted this a number of times as well...

If the crown is stripped and you want a genuine one installed, you have no choice but to chamfer it as needed to get the tube to sit flush with the case...it will leave a small cut out on the bottom of the case, but what choice do you have?

There are so many variances in these parts, not only cases but bracelet SEL's etc, everything is a different size and what worked perfect on one watch, is totally different on another...

The fun and challenge of reps...

RG

As The Zigmeister notes, there is going to be variance from case to case. And the models with proper (i.e. deep) rehaut are always going to have the tube lower on the case. It is one of the details that will always be noticeable between the rep sub and the gen because the Rolex has its winding stem higher on the movement. So when they design a rep case to have proper rehaut (without increasing the total case thickness proportionally) they have no way of locating the tube hole in the center.

not sure if it helps any but the recess in the gens for the crown tube isnt sloped but the sides run perfectly straight down. this allows the hole for the tube to be smaller than the size needed to drill for a countersunk.

i have no idea how they do this but if you can think of a way it may limit overhang. if its going to overhang by quite a bit though. id use a regular countersunk hole. the crown tube will nestle into this snuggly and you wont notice much in the way of anything, even with the crown unscrewed except a little nick in the straight line of the case edge