When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ap Forged Carbon Diver: Story of a mistake

After lots of research and hamletic doubts (I really love carbon as a material, but could not really

make up my mind between the normal AP diver in steel and the one in forged carbon) I decided to

go ahead and eventually ordered the carbon at Trusty Time.

The transaction was buttersmooth, communication with Andrew a breeze and shipping just lightning

fast - just 10 days after QC pics. This was my first order at Andrew's (before I had ordered a couple

of times at Torobravos, but I wanted to try another TD) and I am more than only pleased with him.

Although Andrew carries just one version (the H factory version, I believe), I understand that "off the

shelf" there is essentially another version available from the Noob factory. While H-fac sells for 398

Usd, the noob is a tick more expensive at 530ish Usd. From other reviews, the Noob seems slightly

better in some aspects (not considering the movement here, just case and general exterior), but for

me the extra premium charged by Noob was simply not worth it.  After all it is and remains a rep,

albeit a very very good one, but still no genuine. And quite frankly, I am not that much into those

hyper details that you may only find if you look really hard.

But to the quality of the watch itself now: it is exceptional and I was surprised by the materials used

and the details. The titanium and the dial are very well made, the carbon case is stupendous and

looks very interesting: it gives the watch a special "depth", something like a "frosted glass" pattern

that makes this watch unique. I am not sure whether it actually is forged carbon on the rep or

something else, but it looks very much like the real deal! The pics do not render complete justice: it

is much better and deeper!

I had a look at the gen AP at one of my favourite shops here in Switzerland. Oh yes, we have lots of

watch shops here in Switzerland and I could spend literally hours in them. Occasionally my wife

allows me to get one - but at price tag close to 20,000 Swiss Francs, this genuine AP is definetely

out of my league (and out of her permission range). If I were obsessed, there is a tiny difference

and it relates to the rised tiles in the dial. In the gen the circular concentric patterns on the tiles are

more visible (take this observation of mine with a pinch of salt though - epistemologically speaking I

am not really sure I see this difference only because I DO know that mine is a replica).

All things considered I love the watch, but maybe it was a mistake getting it. Let me explain: I would

have been better off getting the "normal" steel diver:

- First, there is something about the weight that bugs me: paradoxically speaking it is too light

(I know, I know, it is roughly the same weight as the genuine carbon one) - it does simply not feel

right given the size and the sheer presence of the watch. Anyhow, in this matter I just came to

learn that I do love heavier watches....

- Second thing is that the steel diver, besides being heavier, is also the more classic, the more

refined "Gerald Genta" like look. I guess my trail of thought was wrong when I was making up my

Shakespearean mind: although I love carbon, materiaI comes after looks and I should have gotten

the classic steel version. Said that, I wish that the result of all my mistakes in life were this pleasant!

Barore

P.S.

One last thing: I seem not to be able to size the strap for my awkward wrist. On one hole it is too

tight, but if I put it on the next one it feels too loose. I was thinking about punching an additional

hole inbetween or getting a leather band alltogether. Anyone already punched an additonal hole in

an AP rubber strap? Did the strap/hole break after using it? Regarding the leather strap was

thinking a black croc or leather. I read though that  the H-fac FC diver needs a different strap than

the "normal" divers. Suggestions? Experiences anyone?

post-51665-0-51498700-1399737181_thumb.j

post-51665-0-65523500-1399737184_thumb.j

post-51665-0-10162600-1399737187_thumb.j

post-51665-0-70430800-1399737189_thumb.j

It's very nice looking, very nice carbon pattern. If you aren't happy with it, you probably aren't going to wear it much. Were me, and I realized it may have been a mistake, I would sell it. Sell it while it is still essentially new and not scratched up. After you sell it, then I would go to toro, or InTime and order the J12 factory S/S v6 diver. It's the best out there right now, and you should be happy with it. Unless you plan to keep this watch, I would not punch a hole in the rubber strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk