When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buy one gen or all your heroes in rep?

dusk

Perhaps get the reps and see which suits me for 12 months then sell to fund a gen?

That's what I would do. Some watches simply aren't worth the $10k price tags and the rep even at $1k with mods and new band are just as good. Some watches aren't rep'd well and you need to buy gen for. If you are new to watches I'd say buy some reps and see what you end up loving and where you want to spend the big money. 

That's what I would do. Some watches simply aren't worth the $10k price tags and the rep even at $1k with mods and new band are just as good. Some watches aren't rep'd well and you need to buy gen for. If you are new to watches I'd say buy some reps and see what you end up loving and where you want to spend the big money.

Agreed buddy, I'm looking for quality reps and choosing wisely so I can resell when I find my holy grail. Fun so far lol. It's amazing how well you get treated in an authorised dealer when you are wearing a tidy rep :p

It's amazing how well you get treated in an authorised dealer when you are wearing a tidy rep :p

Oh dear.

The general advice is do NOT take any rep into an AD.

Why? The staff there aren't stupid, they will be offered lots of watches in part exchange and will know how to identify a rep. Yes there will be a guy out the back who knows everything and is the authority, but you can bet every time a rep comes in and the authority says "No" the other staff will ask and learn the tells.

So if someone has been there for a few months they may well be wet behind the ears and not know, but the others will be able to tell, and the store manager and the authority out back will be able to tell at 100 paces.

Why does that matter? The greater proportion of high quality reps will be bought by scum who try to sell them as gen, and that's who the police and border forces try to crack down on. All us lot who own and buy reps, the quantities we buy are small numbers, so we're not really on the polices radars. Yet. But if we draw attention to ourselves, they'll take an interest.

It'd take a couple of months work for them to get all the 5 rep forums shut down, if they could be bothered.

Please don't make them think we're worth bothering with! :)

how often do you wear a watch ?

i can easily do without one but i still wear one as part of looking the way i do

reps are fun and disposable

i wear the ones i like once a month

the rest seem to end up as box queens

the few gens I own are event pieces only.

Every day.

I'm far from 'stylish', my usual wear thoughout the week is various jeans and shirts or t-shirts with walking boots (I use an insert in the boot to compensate for a shorter right leg that came from a motorbike accident so can't use shoes or trainers) so I wear the watches purely for my enjoyment and telling the time, certainly not as part of my ensemble :)

Absolutely nothing is a safe / box queen, reps or gens, got a bench polishing / satin finishing machine that I'm playing with and learning so desk dive marks won't be a problem when I perfect it :)

Oh dear.

The general advice is do NOT take any rep into an AD.

Why? The staff there aren't stupid, they will be offered lots of watches in part exchange and will know how to identify a rep. Yes there will be a guy out the back who knows everything and is the authority, but you can bet every time a rep comes in and the authority says "No" the other staff will ask and learn the tells.

So if someone has been there for a few months they may well be wet behind the ears and not know, but the others will be able to tell, and the store manager and the authority out back will be able to tell at 100 paces.

Why does that matter? The greater proportion of high quality reps will be bought by scum who try to sell them as gen, and that's who the police and border forces try to crack down on. All us lot who own and buy reps, the quantities we buy are small numbers, so we're not really on the polices radars. Yet. But if we draw attention to ourselves, they'll take an interest.

It'd take a couple of months work for them to get all the 5 rep forums shut down, if they could be bothered.

Please don't make them think we're worth bothering with! :)

I walked into an AD but not for the panerai I was wearing, they were most gracious towards me but it never left my wrist. Two people I was with were wearing genuine date just rolex. I wasn't flirting with death for fun.

All the best, dusk :-)