When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New(b) custom watch project

Quick backstory, I wanted a cool skeleton watch after a project in grad school turned me on to the history of time keeping, and I have just become enamored in the mechanics behind a mechanical watch. I spent who knows how much time trying to find the perfect watch, and still havent found it so maybe I can make it.  This will be my first real watch project and I thought it would be fun to share, whether its a success or a complete flop, but Im pretty confident. ;-)

I found this one, from Invicta, using the ST16. I love it because the black frame subdues the ornamentation, and instead celebrates the components inside. I bought it solely for the movement, and while the watch is pretty neat it is also rediculously oversized.  My goal is to transplant the movement into the much smaller & simpler case, which was the smallest case I could find that would hold the ST16 movement.

I chose this new case because it was simple, clean, compact, and the price was right for experimenting on.

The bead blasted finish I had to do, since the only blasted finish I could find had a threaded crown & wouldnt work with my ST16 movement. Saved a few bucks & only took a couple minutes anyway. lol

The screw down case back however has become a headache. The screws that came with the case are too short, I cannot get them to even engage unless I completely remove the rubber gasket.  I have yet to find any concrete info on what the screw size is, even the seller had no idea.  I have calipers & can measure them, but I am not used to working with things quite this small and the level of accuracy requried for measuring may be beyond my abilities.  Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

post-64534-0-41688900-1402292972_thumb.j

post-64534-0-99391700-1402293028_thumb.j

post-64534-0-61537000-1402293052_thumb.j

post-64534-0-57304500-1402293086_thumb.j