When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Code letters on Panerai Buckles

panerai153

I know that this is getting down into the trivia area, but seems like it's something that could be important.

here's the story, I recently bought a PAM 063 from a member on the forum. He sold me the watch along with a rubber strap and buckle, both of which he told me were genuine, off of a genuine PAM that he owned. I have no reason to doubt him, as the strap is definitely better quality all around than a rep rubber that I happened to have in my watch box. I feel sure the buckle is genuine as well, but here is my question, on the underside of the buckle is a four letter code. I really would like to know what this is for? I spent about and hour on paneristi.com trying to find out what this was, and all I found out was the older thumbnail buckles had these 4 letter codes
Here is a photo of my buckle. I have it now on a OEM Black calf that is supposed to be for a deployant.

post-327-0-07681000-1402875866_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 4 letter code is a model and date number. i've never deciphered it but I did start tracking what I have. I have a DLC thumbnail that's COND. I'll have to look my rep thumbnail is CONL or COPH.  Usually not going to find much on Risti but you could look on PT's site as I usually do. Some of the older rep, and Gen thumbnails didn't have the letters. My Gen 61c's ti thumbnail didn't have it. And some release from HF didn't have letters on the buckle.

That's a rep buckle. Most likely the strap is a Noob as well as the buckle is from the 29m

PAM-2012-06-27-02-15_enl.jpg

Edited by Az erik

The 4 letter code is a model and date number. i've never deciphered it but I did start tracking what I have. I have a DLC thumbnail that's COND. I'll have to look my rep thumbnail is CONL or COPH. Usually not going to find much on Risti but you could look on PT's site as I usually do. Some of the older rep, and Gen thumbnails didn't have the letters. My Gen 61c's ti thumbnail didn't have it. And some release from HF didn't have letters on the buckle.

That's a rep buckle. Most likely the strap is a Noob as well as the buckle is from the 29m

PAM-2012-06-27-02-15_enl.jpg

Which buckle are you talking about. From what I read, the older buckles were the ones that had the codes, later on they quit engraving codes on buckles. My strap and buckle didn't come together, I got the strap from a seller on Paneresti, like I said above the buckle came on an 063 I bought a few weeks back. The seller claimed the buckle and strap came off his genuine 063 that he sold previously. Who knows, it's pretty hard to see what you are getting with some of the photos. He may have gotten the buckles mixed up, maybe he sold me a rep as an OEM, I was much more interested in the watch, as it is one of the old Skool. 063's with nice mods, and a 2893-2 movement. My main reason for posting this thread was to see if anyone had some insight on what the buckle codes were about, and maybe some background on them, but as I discovered as you did, not much info anywhere on the net about this subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They still engrave the new ones. They didn't engrave them from 99 to about 2003/2004. Seems around the E or G series they did. I have another pair of oem thumbnails coming in tomorrow, off a L and M series. It'll be interesting to see what the letters are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my continued digging the best and probably only way to tell if it's gen is the letting is very small and very close to the corner of the buckle.

These gens use a very fine point laser to engrave them.

DSC03808_zps042bfe30.jpg

COOB, COQF, COND, COKL all seem to be uncopied. COPH seems to be the most copied, lest from the noob factory.

• 9 months later...
Hi guys,

I just bought a strap including a buckle from eBay, and i have no problem with the strap but the buckle. The code on the back shows COKL and it's relatively small, also the quality of the steel is not as good as i expected. I'm just wondering have anyone seen this kind of buckle before, thanks.

post-71477-0-87982100-1428992506_thumb.j

post-71477-0-34128500-1428992513_thumb.j

post-71477-0-15947300-1428992518_thumb.j