When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II

Indyclmbr

Here is my Explorer II from River. I originally stumbled upon RWG looking for a white-dial Exp II. I've had several, but I finally settled on the black dial. It has the wrong hand stack, the bezel font is a bit off (in terms of boldness and size), the date font is different than the gen, but it's an eta 2892 and keeps excellent time, the lume is good.

Having said all of that, this is my favorite watch. I'd like to send thanks and props out to River for setting me up. He's a gentleman and has always answered all of my questions, even the really stupid ones. Thanks River.

Enjoy the pics everyone.

14061-3679.jpg

:wub::wub: man great looking ex ll

Thanks. I love it. It has the well-known flaws of the hand stack, short gmt hand, crown guards, bezel font and date font, but I think they could only be picked out by folks here on the board or if it was side-by-side with a gen. Fortunately, the EXP II black dial is not as common as a Sub. Interestingly-there is another flaw-the "ROLEX" stretches past the word "Perpetual" on the dial. That's not the case for a Gen EXP II, but it is for the Sub and GMT II, so when compared to my friends Gen Sub, it looks very similar.

Climb on.

It's a pretty watch. I wonder if Michael Young can make a thinner/slightly longer GMT hand...it is the one thing that still bugs me the most. I can live with the font issues.

Now that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of it. I also forgot to mention in my last post that knowing there's 2892 powering the watch makes me look right past most of the flaws.

I'm curious about the GMT hand idea. When the last batch of EXP IIs came out with the proper hand stack, they also had a better GMT hand. Unfortunately that GMT hand wouldn't fit because they fixed the stack.

Climb on.