When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does gen (compatible) tube fit in the BP 7mm crown?

GenTLe

Hi guys, as from this thread: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/171423-how-to-kill-a-watch-%C2%B0%C2%B0%C2%B0/  I broke the tube of a PVD coloured GMT Master II from BP.

I've just seen that the BP tube (case side) is smaller than the gen, and I've already got a 2.7mm drill bit and a M3x0.35 tap, so that I can modify it to fit a rolex gen/compatible new tube.

Now my question is: I've already checked that the 7mm crown of my BP GMT was using an A=4.35mm (see below) tube, but will the gen tube with A=4.35mm have the same thread type as the BP crown? 

Has anyone tried to screw a gen/compatible tube into a BP crown and can he confirm that it screws correctly?

And, last but not least: my crown is complete of the stem and I'd like to avoid to remove the stem (I'm a beginner and I don't want to destroy it), how should I properly screw the tube into the crown making it stable (not prone to unscrew) but also not damaging the case part thread (like using pliers)?

Thanks!!!! GenTLe

post-63910-0-15917900-1405167008_thumb.j

Edited by GenTLe

Setting the tube will be one thing, you've got the right bits. Are you going to freehand this or do you have a drill press? Might want to use a rat tail file to remove the remaining bit of the old tube that's still inside the old threads. Once the new tube is set your might find that it sits differently than the old tube and that your old stem is either too long or too short, we're hoping for just right but never know. I think that the crown threads will be a fit for the gen spec tube, I've read of guys putting gen crowns on BP tubes before. Can always try to fit it on the tube now so that you'll know before you start. Good luck and keep us posted!

Its a good idea to loctite the tube to the case. Do NOT loctite the tube to the crown :)

Eheheh, I'll do, I've here a medium strength screw locking Loctite compound (i'll not use the high strength one that will make it unscrew-able in the future) :)

Setting the tube will be one thing, you've got the right bits. Are you going to freehand this or do you have a drill press? Might want to use a rat tail file to remove the remaining bit of the old tube that's still inside the old threads. Once the new tube is set your might find that it sits differently than the old tube and that your old stem is either too long or too short, we're hoping for just right but never know. I think that the crown threads will be a fit for the gen spec tube, I've read of guys putting gen crowns on BP tubes before. Can always try to fit it on the tube now so that you'll know before you start. Good luck and keep us posted!

I've a vertical drill machine (I'm 38 and I'm a do-it-by-yourself guy from when I was 12, so I've built a good tool assortment with the years, other than what my father left me when he passed over 29 years ago), and I've already done all, now I'm just waiting the tubes from CousinsUK :) Give a look to the progresses here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/171423-how-to-kill-a-watch-%C2%B0%C2%B0%C2%B0/

Thanks (to all of you for your suggestions, and specially to MyManMatt which I also stressed with PMs :) )

• 2 years later...