When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replace bezel insert on rep 116610

AyJayKay

I have a rep Submariner 116610 with an ETA 2836-2 movement. It keeps excellent time and wears well. The problem is that the markings are coming off the 'ceramic' bezel insert. The engraving is not very deep and the grey/silver paint is coming off. I managed to get a replacement (rep) bezel insert, but am struggling to remove the old one.

I have tried to lift the edge of the bezel as for the older Subs, but this one does not budge. I have tried the suggestion of heating the insert and using something sticky to lift the insert out of the bezel, but that does not work either.

Now I am considering using a pair of pliers to grip the bezel on two sides and then to simply pull. I will obviously put something between the bezel and the pliers teeth to protect the bezel. Is this likely to work?

Any other suggestions?

Heat the bezel insert up using an hair dryer.  Best done with the movement removed to be safe.  The heat will soften the double sided tape that holds the ceramic insert on the bezel assembly.

Once its heated up, you will be able to move the insert, and it will lift off.

Let us know how you get on.  Once heated, if the insert still doesn't lift up, try using the edge of a razor blade.

Providing that the insert has not been glued in place from say, a previous owner, you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you buy the new insert from? I have the same issue.

I got a Parnis ceramic off eBay. Unfortunately the numbers are too white and the pearl is too recessed, But it looks a lot better than the one with missing numbers, I have given it to my watchmaker to fit. When I get one that is a better match to the gen, I will swap it out again.