When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep's Cg Vs Jimmyzfu's Cg...

lello

Hi all,

I didn't know how to spend one hour :p ... and I decided to make this post about the comparison of the last generation Pam's crown guards and the Jimmyzfu's ones.

The other day, a member told me that Jimmy's CG were far better than the standard CG coming with the reps.

I was surprised about this, because I remember I was the first one on RWG, two years a go, to buy two CGs from Jimmy and although at that time, it was surely much better than the rep's CG, I immediately spotted that there was less room for the crown.

Somebody might remember that my crowns for manual winding Pams, had some troubles, right because in some cases crown went touching the CG room edge, on the outer position to regulate the time.

That was mainly due to the fact that my crowns were sprung.

Now, with the great Palp crowns, although they have no spring inside, they are 0,2 thicker and so, better if we have more room there anyway.

Jimmy's CGs are good, but not better than the last generation rep CG.

I'm just wondering why this legend.

One advantage on Jimmy's CG, is the rubber shell around the pin to avoid the lever being loose.

Jimmy's CG is generally slightly smaller than the rep's one.

Another thing that it's very important in my opinion, is the size and flatness of pin's head.

I noticed that on my last two Pams I just purchased, the pin it's not very flat on top and this is not a good thing, but all the rest it's the same as on this one I used here for the comparison, that came with my 2893 Pam 063 I bought last year and the pin here it's slightly wider and quite flat and these are both very good things.

I know Jimmy's CGs are not available anymore and so, no problems to say our opinion on this.

Unfortunately, I don't own a gen Pam yet, to compare these ones to a gen CG. :(

It would be great if one of the guys who can, could compare their gen to these measures I posted and tell us which one is closer. :)

172775-9166.jpg

172775-9167.jpg

172775-9168.jpg

172775-9169.jpg

Edited by lello

I'm quite happy with my Jimmyfu CG, especialy since the lever is not wobbly AT ALL. Very veryy smooth opening and closing. I wouldnt wanna miss it!

But I agree, the difference is not that big, but if you want it near perfect, Jimmy's CG is the way to go!

I love the Jimmy Fu on the 063. The biggest visual difference is the thickness. The rep CG is skinny while the Jimmy Fu spans the width of the case. And of course, functionally, the lever action of the Jimmy Fu is far better.

I agree on the lever not being loose, but can you tell me where the rep's CG is skinny?

Did you observe my pics? :blink:

Thanks for the great review and pics, Lello.

I too always suspected that the supposed great difference was more of a legend than a fact -- with exception for the lever rubber tube, naturally.

But I never accepted to pay $$$ for a loose lever fix that I could make DIY at no cost, so I have no Jimmy's CG and I can't tell it really.

I have to add that I find the loose lever the worst flaw in our reps, though.

On it, even a child can tell a rep from a gen. Other than those details about date font, back numerals, and so, that we love so much speaking about!

It depends on the generation of rep...I believe they improved the guards somehwere along the way from the "2052" 111's that came out in 2004 when Jimmy started selling guards and now. If I remember when I get home I'll take some pics of all three--the rep guard on my 111, the jimmy guard on my 029, and the OEM guard (adam-co) on my 005.

The jimmyfzu guard is 1:1 in size and function (but not finish) to the gen E series guard. The rep guard from the "E2052" 111 is not.

The main problem these days is that nobody, and I mean nobody outside of the OP factory makes a good G-I series CG. Davidsen, I guess, comes closest but isn't exactly the same size.

The bottom line is depressing but true: like datewheels, crown guards are simply below the attention-to-detail radar of repmakers. Here's to hoping that PT's upcoming pieces signal a new approach accross the board.

I agree on the lever not being loose, but can you tell me where the rep's CG is skinny?

Did you observe my pics? :blink:

Well I received two CGs with the 063 I recently purchased....

One measures .245" (6.2mm)

The other measures .255" (6.5mm)

My Jimmy Fu masures .27" (6.9mm)

Doesn't sound like a big difference. But on the side of the case you see it because you have top and bottom edges of the case as a reference. This tends to exaggerate the difference like one of those eye/mind tricks. :)

When Jimmy made his CG he had his chinese fabricator model it 1:1 to a gen CG but it would have been based on a D series or earlier. And of course not all CG's are exactly the same from model to model even in a given year. Rep CG's have gotten better but the fit and finish (and most importantly) the size of the hole on the Jimmy CG is a little more accurate. Worth $50-$60 - I don't know about that. But when he made them they were a significant improvement. I tried to get him to have his fabricator make the H series but the fabricator was out of business. I still use them on my pre-h reps though. :)

Well I received two CGs with the 063 I recently purchased....

One measures .245" (6.2mm)

The other measures .255" (6.5mm)

My Jimmy Fu masures .27" (6.9mm)

:)

I realized I forgot to indicate the thickness of both CGs. (now I updated the pic)

The thing is that they are the same thickness of 6,70 mm.

So, I still don't see where the Jimmy's could be better, with the exception of the rubber shell around pin.

If gen. CGs size changes depending on production's year, it might be possible that both CGs are correct then.

It looks to me that the differences are not relevant to justify a 50$-60$ expense.

Spare CGs would be very useful, only if you damage the one you have.

What else I can say is, any time I look at a gen Pam CG, my eye is immediately captured by the pin's head.

At least on the recent models, can't say exactly why and what, but there's something different that makes them recognizable at the first look...

I still swear by them. I am down to my last couple and they will be going on along with a couple of Palp crowns when the new run comes out in the New Year. :)

Or at least one of them will... :D

lello, I think what everyone is saying is that the rep factories almost certainly improved the rep guards at some point, and even then probably only on some of the models, so the jimmy guards improve many reps sill being worn, bought, sold, etc...Even the improved rep guards are not finished up to the jimmyfzu guards' standards (which, in turn, are not finished up to gen standards) and they are missing the rubber.

That being said, whoever finds a chinese CNC shop to make a run of H series guards will make a good bit of pocket change.

I realized I forgot to indicate the thickness of both CGs. (now I updated the pic)

The thing is that they are the same thickness of 6,70 mm.

So, I still don't see where the Jimmy's could be better, with the exception of the rubber shell around pin.

OK, so your rep CG is thicker than mine, and according to my calipers, my Jimmy Fu is thicker that yours. I wonder why? But regardless, it just looks much better on my 063 case than either of the thinner ones I have from the rep factories. So, I'm glad I got it. In fact, I wish I had gotten a few more to have lying around for a rainy day, and I wish there were Jimmy-Fu-like CGs for Daylights!!!

OK, so your rep CG is thicker than mine, and according to my calipers, my Jimmy Fu is thicker that yours. I wonder why? But regardless, it just looks much better on my 063 case than either of the thinner ones I have from the rep factories. So, I'm glad I got it. In fact, I wish I had gotten a few more to have lying around for a rainy day, and I wish there were Jimmy-Fu-like CGs for Daylights!!!

Ok, it's clear now that not all the recent reps, have good CG though.

Maybe I was lucky that my 063 bought last year and my 199 and 090, just got from Joshua, have good CGs too.

That's why I took for granted that all recent CGs were well made.

I agree with you about the Daylight CG...

I was just wondering if the recent new Daylights, have better crown, or if it's the same as the one on 196 and 188.

Ok, it's clear now that not all the recent reps, have good CG though.

Maybe I was lucky that my 063 bought last year and my 199 and 090, just got from Joshua, have good CGs too.

That's why I took for granted that all recent CGs were well made.

I agree with you about the Daylight CG...

I was just wondering if the recent new Daylights, have better CG, or if it's the same as the one on 196 and 188.

Unfortunately the CG's on the newer 196 and 188 look worse on some I have seen. On the new 44mm Daylight chronos (250 and 251) the bar on the gens has been lifted higher as the lever now sits centered in the CG (vertically) similar to (but not exactly like) the Historic crownguards. The crowns themselves appear to be thicker but rougher with fewer ridges and so not as elegant looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically a lot depends on what "era" did you get your 44mm PAM rep from.

I've got a 112E from 2004, also have JZFu as a spare. Now...I measured them both and the diference is minimal if any...bugger all, really. My 111F CG is slightly (but only slightly) thinner than JFZu's.

Yes his CG comes with a lever rubber insert, but that aspect never bothered me. I have handled genuines at my Panerai AD, and believe me some of them bore quite "loose" lever, as well.

I also have 3 mths old 111H with brushed crown, and both JZFu and my 112F rep CG are much better proportioned and closer to gen than 111H one, but we already know that anyway.

My point is - if you have an older type rep with polished CG, you're most likely fine with your rep CG, in case you own G or H series rep - JFZu's slightly better option, however his ones come as polished, not brushed.

babola

My point is - if you have an older type rep with polished CG, you're most likely fine with your rep CG, in case you own G or H series rep - JFZu's slightly better option, however his ones come as polished, not brushed.

babola

You've lost me here...they actually put thinner crown guards on the H series reps than they did the E anf F series reps, even though the main difference between F and H series gens is the beefed up guard? That's pretty funny...I think they do these things to mess with us.."OK, Panerai makes their new guards bigger We'll make ours smaller...drive those anal retentives nuts."

It does sound a bit strange..I agree. My H series rep brushed CG is actually slightly thinner than my E series rep polished CG...go figure...maybe a diferent batch :-)

babola

You've lost me here...they actually put thinner crown guards on the H series reps than they did the E anf F series reps, even though the main difference between F and H series gens is the beefed up guard? That's pretty funny...I think they do these things to mess with us.."OK, Panerai makes their new guards bigger We'll make ours smaller...drive those anal retentives nuts."