When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a gen 1016 dial?

tienbang

Does look a bit strangely uneven patinazed for a gilt dial.

Though, looking at the printing I would say the letters are spot on in comparison with the attached pictures gilt dial which seems to be the same version.

We lack a picture of the back side of the dial. But if you would have the chance to check that out it should look like the one posted here:

FyE2q9t.png1c5ds1r.png

I have to admit I am not that familiar with gilt 1016 dials though, talking about gilt Rolex dials, their manufacturing process is as follows (brief description). The lettering and indices in gold are all part of the mainplate, what is black is paint on top. When looking under certain viewing angles the gilt symbols lettering etc looks as if it is submerged in the black paint on the font.

Here an example of a quite rare and not so often seen gilt dial SWISS only from 1963:

4xcrUMW.jpg

And for the ones that want more in-depth on the case here is the opened mid case

gEzUbZC.jpg

It is a whole different story commenting it but would help a lot of folks as I receive numerous inquiries on details and variations of different era 1016 Explorers.

The whole lower lug area connecting with the gasket groove has no specific lips or steps like seen on later 70's early 80's cases. It is build similarly like a 1600 case, though with the important difference that the gasket groove is accommodating the gasket.

This information would help especially those who are in the process to build a franken with a custom modded (what else?!) gen or rep case and need those details to be right in order to date their watch back to that desired era.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks blue! Being a noob I questioned the authenticity of it because the font numerals look a bit skinnier than the gen dials I've research. Maybe just my eyes.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Here's the close up of the back

6500ddd771dea6305162fc0fc11f4cc9.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk