When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian Rep Losing Approx. 20 Minutes A Day

jj69

I'm rather new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I purchased a nice JLC Memovox from another member here on RWG. I received it a couple of weeks ago. After a day or so, I noticed it was losing time. On average, it seems to lose about 20 minutes a day. Sometimes it will run fine for day or two. Other times, it won't run for ten minutes without losing some time. The problem appears to be getting progressively worse, with the watch unable to hold the correct time for any reasonable period.

Oddly, it seems like the seconds hand is keeping accurate time. I set it an hour ago and it's already lost 7 minutes. However, the seconds are still spot on.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? It's a basic Asian rep with mineral crystal, so a professional service is not worth it. Do these symptoms indicate anything for which there might be a "quick fix"?

TIA

Set it 25 mins ahead of time......that way you'll never be late for an appointment......and at the end of the day....when you put it on the bedside table.....it'll be bang on time......then waken in the morning and repeat the process.......or you could take it to a smith and get it regulated.......simple.

BTW....if you need to know the 'real' time....look at your mobile phone...:D

The loss is definitely not restricted to any specific time of day. The amount appears to be a maximum of 25 minutes or so, but it seems to build gradually. For example, earlier I noticed it lose 7 minutes in an hour.

Is the loss of time consistent with any specific time of day? Consistent in the amount of time lost per day? Perhaps it's a problem with the hand on the pinion? Possibly an issue with slipping? Doesn't sound like a regulating issue... But maybe a servicing will help identify the problem.

Another possibility is a hung up mainspring...

If the watch is consistantly that slow... beat it.

Slap it crystal first into your palm, then case back first into your palm... that will usually free up whatever kink/gunk has messed up the main spring...

Failing that..... a full service as the the others have suggested.

Another possibility is a hung up mainspring...

If the watch is consistantly that slow... beat it.

Slap it crystal first into your palm, then case back first into your palm... that will usually free up whatever kink/gunk has messed up the main spring...

Failing that..... a full service as the the others have suggested.

Really? Your more likely to f*ck it up big time slapping it around like that! Seek the service of a watchsmith for inspection and diagnosis....

I see Neil is feeling well again :p

I'm rather new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I purchased a nice JLC Memovox from another member here on RWG. I received it a couple of weeks ago. After a day or so, I noticed it was losing time. On average, it seems to lose about 20 minutes a day. Sometimes it will run fine for day or two. Other times, it won't run for ten minutes without losing some time. The problem appears to be getting progressively worse, with the watch unable to hold the correct time for any reasonable period.

Oddly, it seems like the seconds hand is keeping accurate time. I set it an hour ago and it's already lost 7 minutes. However, the seconds are still spot on.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? It's a basic Asian rep with mineral crystal, so a professional service is not worth it. Do these symptoms indicate anything for which there might be a "quick fix"?

TIA

Your Cannon pin is loose, it needs to be tightened and your problem will be fixed.

What type of movement is in the watch? any idea?

If a watch INDICATES a time loss, but the seconds are right on, then it's because the cannon pin is slipping and the hands are slipping.

PLSE read my basics in my sig, dont' slap the watch, not a good idea.

Easy fix, but it required disassembly and possible replacement of the cannon pin...

RG

I checked it this morning after leaving it on the table face-up overnight. It lost another 4-5 minutes, and the seconds are now 10-15 seconds off. So I think my original theory that the seconds hand is unaffacted was incorrect.

The Zigmeister, I'm assuming that would change your diagnosis?

I don't know what movement it has, but it's clearly not ETA or anything expensive. It's definitely Asian. The rotor is decorated. This is the version of the Memovox with the correct seconds hand and without the alarm (I believe there are only two Memovox reps out there).

The dilemma here is that this is a nice looking, but clearly inexpensive rep (cheap crystal, Asian movement, etc.). It would likely be more economical to buy another one than have it serviced.

Your Cannon pin is loose, it needs to be tightened and your problem will be fixed.

What type of movement is in the watch? any idea?

If a watch INDICATES a time loss, but the seconds are right on, then it's because the cannon pin is slipping and the hands are slipping.

PLSE read my basics in my sig, dont' slap the watch, not a good idea.

Easy fix, but it required disassembly and possible replacement of the cannon pin...

RG

Pull the crown out to the winding position to set the time, you can feel the tension on the cannon pin, if it feels very free and loose, that's your problem.

Unlikely something mechanical, random time loss is normally the cannon pin, mechanical problems don't fix themselves and then break again, but slipping hands as a result of a loose cannon pin will vary...

Probably not worth fixing, I am not familiar with this model, if it's a standard center seconds asian copy, a Miyota can normally be installed cheaply...

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister.

I'll check the tension when I get home tonight.

If a Miyota will fit, that may be a good option. My Invicta 8926 has one and other than the fact that it's non-hacking, I've never had a problem with it.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the cost of a movement and installation? I'm assuming it's not something a novice can do. If this is an inappropriate question to post on the board, feel free to PM me.

Pull the crown out to the winding position to set the time, you can feel the tension on the cannon pin, if it feels very free and loose, that's your problem.

Unlikely something mechanical, random time loss is normally the cannon pin, mechanical problems don't fix themselves and then break again, but slipping hands as a result of a loose cannon pin will vary...

Probably not worth fixing, I am not familiar with this model, if it's a standard center seconds asian copy, a Miyota can normally be installed cheaply...

RG

Wait a second. You expected a used watch that you purchased here on RWG to be accurate more than two times a day?!

Heh. Just kidding. These things happen. I have to wonder, though, if the original seller was aware of this and failed to disclose it. Seems difficult not to notice given the severity. Perhaps you could work out an arrangement where you split The Zigmeister's repair fee 50/50 with the seller? Once it passes through The Zigmeister's bench, you'll have a watch that will be serviceable for years to come.

The seller informed me post-sale that he purchased it from another member and had never worn it himself. He suggested I post here to see what the experts have to say. :)

Splitting the cost of repair might be a fair solution, but to be honest, the cost of movement replacement is more than I paid him for the watch. :(

Wait a second. You expected a used watch that you purchased here on RWG to be accurate more than two times a day?!

Heh. Just kidding. These things happen. I have to wonder, though, if the original seller was aware of this and failed to disclose it. Seems difficult not to notice given the severity. Perhaps you could work out an arrangement where you split The Zigmeister's repair fee 50/50 with the seller? Once it passes through The Zigmeister's bench, you'll have a watch that will be serviceable for years to come.