When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 177h Question

Devedander

I have noticed over the last week or so that when setting the time on my Swan Neck 177 sometimes the crown just won't go back in...

Procedure is:

Open the lever

Pull crown out

Set time

Try to push crown back in

Sometimes it just goes right back in, no fuss and close lever done.

But sometimes it fights me, and in these cases it will usually go what feels like 1 click, but that's only about half way back... at this position if I turn the crown it simultaenously winds the watch and moves the hands (I assumed this is bad so I try to not do this much and immediately pull it back out to time set) and at this point the lever will not close because the crown is still out too far.

It seems there is about a 10 minute deadzone where it just won't go back in no matter how much I tinker... but if I set the minute hand around far enough (outside this 10 minute deadzone) it goes right back in... of course not at the right time anymore.

I haven't been able to nail down a specific cause for this (ie certain time of day, setting only so far etc) but wondered if this is something that is just normal to this movement or if I should be looking for a specific cause...

Thanks!

What model of movement is in it.

I have seem a few with the correct engraved bridges, where the bridge hole that the set lever screw goes through, is too tight for the screw. Hence the resistance, as the screw rotates in the hole.

Or there could be some misalignment between the case and movement stem hole...

RG

Thanks for the reply.

It's this one: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=12217

After more tinkering I took the CG off and it does seem to be missaligned a fraction. With the CG on I didn't have much room to wiggle it, but with the CG off I found that it seems to go in until the back of the crown hits the tube, then if I sort of press it in different directions it will eventually line up right and go in.

The missalignment must be slight because it doesn't appear to be miassaligned from looking.

Is this something that could damage the crown stem in the long run if I don't fix it? I don't have a PAM caseback tool at the moment...

I guess I could always do that... I have never had luck with tape on my other watches though... come to think of it I do have that rubber/wood caseback tool... maybe that would get it open too...

If I can get it off what would be invovled in fixing this (still pretty new at the insides of watches).

If I can get it off what would be invovled in fixing this (still pretty new at the insides of watches).

Unless these things are overtightened (and smashing the O-ring) duct tape will work. No clue what will be involved in fixing it though. Each problem is unique. But whenever I have to crack open casebacks to debug a problem, I stop debugging as soon as the solution is non-obvious. :)

One time I had a 2836 just seize up on me and the winding stem wouldn't budge. I cracked open the case and saw that a screw had come out and lodged itself between two moving parts. It was a simple task to extract the screw with tweezers and put it back in place. But, like I say, if it hadn't been an obvious fix, then off to The Zigmeister it would have gone.

If it's not something obvious, like a sticking crown or something else, then it's down to the set lever screw, fixing this is not a first timer job I am sorry to say, you need reamers and have to disassemble the movement to get it done...

I am not sure what else I can add, really hard to diagnose from a distance.

RG

The Zigmeister well if it's just missaligned is it something that can be fixed by rotating the movement in the case or something? Because at first glance that's what appears too be (the crown is not centered over the tube perfectly so it catches on one edge on the way in sometimes).

More importantly do you think this could damage something (like bend the stem) if left alone? If it's potential damage I will want to look into it ASAP, but if it probably won't end up damaging anything at least I don't have to be nervouse about it.

The Zigmeister well if it's just missaligned is it something that can be fixed by rotating the movement in the case or something? Because at first glance that's what appears too be (the crown is not centered over the tube perfectly so it catches on one edge on the way in sometimes).

More importantly do you think this could damage something (like bend the stem) if left alone? If it's potential damage I will want to look into it ASAP, but if it probably won't end up damaging anything at least I don't have to be nervouse about it.

Seeing double vision...

If the stem is catching, you can easily fix it...

Loosen the clamp screws, and make sure the crown in pushed all the way in, this seats it correctly in the case, then tighten the case clamp screws.

Unlikely you would ever bend that stem, they are hardened, and break, not bend...

If you can get the back off, should be an easy fix.

RG