When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Advice For Creating A Usb Flash Memory Boot....

ryyannon

for an old iMac slot-loader running OS9.1....

What I'd like to do is try to boot off a flash memory on one of the usb ports...

This is theoretically possible with the older iMacs running OS9x - the question is, what do I load onto the memory?

I have the original system CDs, would it suffice to create a disk-image? And when re-starting, what would be the key to hold down to bypass the HD?

I've posted this question on the discussion boards of Apple, but no clear answers so far - other than those who've replied that it doesn't work in OS10x....

I figure that if ever the Cd drive gives up, it would be good to have another access to repair or otherwise salvage files from the HD.

Anyone around here Mac-savvy enough to figure this one out?

Can't seem to leave OS9x - I've got another machine with OS10.4, but it sits gathering dust...

I have the original system CDs, would it suffice to create a disk-image? And when re-starting, what would be the key to hold down to bypass the HD?

Try this ...

Boot with the install CD in and hold C down. This will boot the Mac from the CD. Then, install OS9 onto the flash drive. If this doesn't work (FAT32 not HFS+), you couldn't boot anyway. :black_eye:

If it does work, you use ALT to select the boot device during power-up.

I would like to do this on a PC but I think that the bios needs to be fairly new to have this option. Anyone done this on the PC?

Also, I head to the airport tomorrow and arrive back in Paris on sunday. I would be up for a Paris GTG at Cafe Select on Sundays January 21 or 28.

Usil

The beer one. :thumbsupsmileyanim:
Edited by Usil

I am anxious to get back. Never had a three week vacation before all at once.

Yes, I use windoze. I had a Lisa along time ago but jumped to Windoze.

Pugwash, you back in Paris the end of January? GTG for either date good for you?

Usil

Welcome back, Usil!

Those dates would be fine with me....

as for PCs, I haven't a clue.

Pug is the forum Apple expert; there should certainly be some Windoze geniuses around here as well....