When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap(er) Way To Obtain 2824 Mvmt.

r11co

In the UK at least, watch part suppliers are either already suffering from the impending withdrawal of ETA movements from the aftermarket or are keen to capitalise from the threat of such a withdrawal. As a result prices have doubled for replacement movements in the past few months so that it is now difficult to find an ETA 2824/2836 movement for under £45/$88 including delivery.

Therefor I intend to resort to cannibalism.

What about buying a used watch that has a 2824 inside, and just taking it out :)

Used movements....

"corroded cases".... :unsure:

Plus I don't need a job lot, so I'm not in a position to exploit economy of scale. One 'new' movement for just over half the going rate, plus comeback if it is DOA sounds pretty good to me....

Now I just hope that are real ETA"s ;)

That did occur to me too, but Swatch group are happy to continue to supply movements in quantity to companies making and selling complete watches, and Gruen are well established customers.

It is just the spares market (and rep makers they hope) that is going to be starved.

That did occur to me too, but Swatch group are happy to continue to supply movements in quantity to companies making and selling complete watches, and Gruen are well established customers.

It is just the spares market (and rep makers they hope) that is going to be starved.

I read on one of my other boards that they were only going to sell to Swatch Group members. If that's true, it will definitely limit where movements can be had. IIRC, it was one of my Invicta boards that had this information (they were wondering what movement Invicta would use to replace the 2824 they use on their 9837 Subs).

I read on one of my other boards that they were only going to sell to Swatch Group members. If that's true, it will definitely limit where movements can be had. IIRC, it was one of my Invicta boards that had this information (they were wondering what movement Invicta would use to replace the 2824 they use on their 9837 Subs).

Swatch announced a couple of years ago that they had decided to sell ETA's only within Swatch Group. But some Swiss court handled a case againts Swatch for this, and decided that Swatch had to sell also outside of Swatch Group for some more years.

So Swatch now still sells to aftermarket etc, but maybe smaller quantities, longer delivery time, higher prices etc., which leads to a market gap between demands and supplies. Or is it vica versa....................gap between demands and supplies leads to higher prices etc. ? Whatever - impact is the same.

Swatch announced a couple of years ago that they had decided to sell ETA's only within Swatch Group. But some Swiss court handled a case againts Swatch for this, and decided that Swatch had to sell also outside of Swatch Group for some more years.

Ya, they have to continue to sell outside of the Swatch Group through 2010. After that, anyone that isn't part of the Swatch Group is SOL.

So Swatch now still sells to aftermarket etc, but maybe smaller quantities, longer delivery time, higher prices etc., which leads to a market gap between demands and supplies. Or is it vica versa....................gap between demands and supplies leads to higher prices etc. ? Whatever - impact is the same.

Here is a link that has a quick blurb about this. These guys are speculating that the new Seiko automatics 'could' fill the gap. If they made a version of this movement in a 28,800 bph, I'd be all for it. I have two Seiko 5's that are running the 7S26 automatic. It's a fantastic movement for the money, but the newer versions with hack and stem winding are even better.

http://velociphilewatch.blogspot.com/2006/...ithout-eta.html

if you order today valjoux 7750 movements from ETA... they will get them on 2008. More than 1 year waiting time.

Reality is that the surplus market is where Ofrei and most suppliers, and of course the rep makers get the movements...so what is going to change??? Very little I think...

Well, the prices for these movements have already doubled in the UK, when supplies are available. Cousins currently have no stock whereas in the past supply from them was never an issue. Maybe you've got them all? :D

Well, the prices for these movements have already doubled in the UK, when supplies are available. Cousins currently have no stock whereas in the past supply from them was never an issue. Maybe you've got them all? :D

I haven't had any problems with wait times etc from my supplier, so far, any and all ETA models I have ordered have been at my door in two days...

But, my supplier also carries a lot of genuine NOS Rolex stuff, and I get spares for them for my vintage restorations all the time...so I guess I am lucky - for now...

RG

I haven't had any problems with wait times etc from my supplier, so far, any and all ETA models I have ordered have been at my door in two days...

But, my supplier also carries a lot of genuine NOS Rolex stuff, and I get spares for them for my vintage restorations all the time...so I guess I am lucky - for now...

RG

The obvious follow-up question to this is of course... who is this supplier if not CousinsUK??

Its defintely not Ofrei because if they are not rude, slow to ship or loose items mysteriously between their office and my customs they most ceratinly don't have a good genuine rolex parts selection :thumbdown:

Please be a sport and tell me/us your source :thumbsupsmileyanim: