When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is It Possible To Break The Hancking Signal On A Watch?

Devedander

I took apart one of my subs yesterday to align the crystal (got a crystal press in the mail and was dying to try it out) and after getting it all back together it doesn't hack... now this is a cheap asian auto (not the same one I took apart before) but I could have swore it hacked before I took it apart. It winds, dates change and time sets fine, but the second hand always runs...

Now I might just be loosing it and maybe it never hacked, but I was wondering if it's possible to break just the hacking signal but have an otherwise perfectly good running watch?

This particular watch is no big deal but I would like to know becuase if I did do something wrong I would like to know before I dig into any more expensive watches...

thanks~!

It is possible to have the hacking lever fall out of the grove in the clutch wheel...normally this happens if the stem is removed in any position other than the winding one, or it can happen if the square boss on the stem (the part that fits into the clutch gear) is not lined up, and the stem is inserted, thereby forcing the clutch gear to slip past the hacking lever arm.

Once out, only fix is to take it apart and re-set it, but most times, once out, and you pull the stem to the setting positon, it crushes the lever...

RG

Hmmm... good to know... I probably broke it by now then as at one point I was fiddling with it and the crown came out in the time set position.

Since I got it back together by now I am sure I crushed the lever and it wouldn't be particularly worth it to take this watch apart to fix anyway... thanks for clearig it up The Zigmeister!

BTW I apologize if it's outlined somewhere and I missed it, but is there a way to assure that the square part of the stem is lined up or is it something you just push it in and if there is too much resistance you know it's not lined up well?

Hmmm... good to know... I probably broke it by now then as at one point I was fiddling with it and the crown came out in the time set position.

Since I got it back together by now I am sure I crushed the lever and it wouldn't be particularly worth it to take this watch apart to fix anyway... thanks for clearig it up ziggy!

BTW I apologize if it's outlined somewhere and I missed it, but is there a way to assure that the square part of the stem is lined up or is it something you just push it in and if there is too much resistance you know it's not lined up well?

All you can do is to remove the stem in the winding position, and carefully insert it while turing it as it goes in, this way it will normally engage into the clutch gear and not push the gear out of place.

It's not covered in detail anywhere, so no worries...with most of this stuff, 1000 words would not do justice to the job at hand, yet 2 minutes at the workbench with me, would explain it all clearly...such is the limitations of text.

RG

I can only imagine what an hour or two in a sheep skin covered chair watching you work would teach a guy... but sadly I have to settle for the next best thing: me with a cheapo toolset breaking my cheap reps... ok it's not the next best thing but oh well :)

BTW even though you are told this on a regular basis I just want to say again you are a huge asset to this forum and it's invaluable to have knowledge and help like you around!

I can only imagine what an hour or two in a sheep skin covered chair watching you work would teach a guy... but sadly I have to settle for the next best thing: me with a cheapo toolset breaking my cheap reps... ok it's not the next best thing but oh well :)

BTW even though you are told this on a regular basis I just want to say again you are a huge asset to this forum and it's invaluable to have knowledge and help like you around!

There is always room at the workbench...if your ever in town, let me know...

Glad to lend a hand where and how I can, got to go make my Scotch Broth with my leftover leg of lamb (now you know where the skin came from...). :D

RG

All you can do is to remove the stem in the winding position, and carefully insert it while turing it as it goes in, this way it will normally engage into the clutch gear and not push the gear out of place.

It's not covered in detail anywhere, so no worries...with most of this stuff, 1000 words would not do justice to the job at hand, yet 2 minutes at the workbench with me, would explain it all clearly...such is the limitations of text.

RG

Damn, I didn't realize that, I took my Seadwellar apart a few weeks ago to get watch out (very small fogging under the crystal) and used the silica treatment. I don't believe any damaging moisture got in the movement at all. But when I reinserted the stem, I just pushed it in. Now the hacking function doesn't work. I think it did before, I don't remember. But I believe this cheap Chinese movement has one. I wish there was an easy way to fix. The watch keeps good time otherwise. I have started to build a little toolbase, headvisor 2.5, screwdrivers etc. I am mechanically inclined. Are there any tutorials anywhere that would walk me through fixing the hack function? Is it also probable that part is damaged or just out of place? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Torques