When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Beloved Porikka is Terminally Ill

dovo1695

Sjq7AeS.jpg

This watch has served as my beater of choice for the last seven years or so, and it certainly looks like it! Amazingly it still keeps great time, especially since I think all of the Porikka watches just had asian 21j movements. Tragedy struck this weekend however; I checked the time after lunch and noticed that my watch had stopped. I figured the 21j had finally given up the ghost, but then I noticed that the 3 hour marker had popped out and was tangled up with the second hand. I gave it a bit of a shake, the second hand broke free of the 3hr marker, and began ticking away as normal. I should have stopped the movement right there, but I didn't want to stop the movement indefinitely with the spring loaded, and figured I'd just let it wind itself down. Unfortunately, at some point before the movement wound down, the 3hr marker got tangled up with the second hand again and the 2hr marker popped up as well.

It seems a bit silly to invest a lot of time and/or money in fixing this thing given it's age and condition, but I won't say I'm not tempted. Realistically though, I think it's time for me to start looking for a new beater...

Desirable but Optional Features for New Beater:

• Crystal Scratched to the point of Illegibility
  • Paperclip end link pin
  • Missing Pearl
  • Enough desk diving scratches to appear "satin" finished

Edited by dovo1695
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear of your plight. Unfortunately, watches like all other mechanical objects at some point reach their "end of life" stage. It's often a bitter pill to swallow, because you are giving up a faithful companion, but at that point simple economics prevail. Is it worth spending maybe twice what the watch is worth to get it back on your wrist, or should you retire it to your desk drawer and buy a replacement? Difficult question sometimes, no doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk