When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Different Dial Colors On Smp?

scoobs1971

Hi everybody,

Just bought a SMP from one of our respected dealers. So I looked for pics on the internet to examine the dial. It occurs to me that there are several dial versions:

1. bright blue dial, silver lines around the lumed hour markers and wave patterns easily noticeable

2. dark blue/almost black, white lines around the lumed hour markers and wave patterns very hard to see without decent light

Mine appears to be #2.

However, my observation can be totally wrong due to photoshop and photographic lighting.

Please help me out on this..

• 3 weeks later...

My Blue SMP GMT has flat waves, no bevel. I'm going to have to order the SMP Chrono just to get the realistic looking waves with raised (beveled), glossy wave patterns. After comparing the GMT to a real SMP dial it just lost all the magic for me and I don't like wearing it anymore. From what I can read here and from the pictures I can tell the Chrono has the correct dial.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about the wave pattern discrepancy with the reps, it makes all the difference to me to get that dial right.

I went to an AD last week and had the chance to compare my SMP rep to a gen in the window. O boy, that is a difference in dial indeed. But the solution is there.. I´m going to buy an aftermarket gen dial and have the rep dial replaced. It´ll cost some, but still cheaper than buying the gen.

I also found out that the old version has the white lines around the hour markers and the new co-axial version has the silver lines and logo. Also the wave patterns on the new version appear even stronger to me.

I went to an AD last week and had the chance to compare my SMP rep to a gen in the window. O boy, that is a difference in dial indeed. But the solution is there.. I´m going to buy an aftermarket gen dial and have the rep dial replaced. It´ll cost some, but still cheaper than buying the gen.

I also found out that the old version has the white lines around the hour markers and the new co-axial version has the silver lines and logo. Also the wave patterns on the new version appear even stronger to me.

One thing that is nice, is that the smp has been around so long if you beat it up a little no one would be the wiser... Before I sold my gen, then second hand was faded, the bezel was faded, ect. I was at the ad, and he said he's seen a few that looked the same that were about the same age (10 years).