When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

126600 sea dweller

Cross7

Here are my thoughts on the 126600 rep from BP available at the moment. I know it has been slated, in general, but I was intrigued enough about it to take a punt and buy one, mainly because I really like the 43mm size compared with the 40mm sea dweller.

The most obvious negative parts have already been highlighted by others, i.e. the bezel pearl is not the new low profile one seen on the 126600 but is raised like the current submariners and 116600 sea dwellers. Also the bezel font is skinnier than it should be on this rep. 

The other notable thing that is disappointing on this rep is that the bracelet tapers down to 20mm, like the 116600, not down to 22mm, which I think is the bracelet width on the new 126600. The bracelet, and especially the clasp, also feel very flimsy and light on the 126600 rep compared to the 116600 rep that I have, which again was disappointing.

The best thing about it, however, is definitely the size, which feels perfect for my 7.5 inch wrist. The dial looks pretty good to me and the date window seems  straight and the date seems pretty well lined up. I opted for the A2836 movement, which has kept good time for a couple of weeks now and feels smooth when winding.

I decided to have a 'tinker' with the watch to at least change things enough for me to wear it. I swapped the clasp, and as many links as possible, with those from a defunct sea dweller. The watch now feels a lot more solid. I popped out the original pearl and had a go at enlarging the hole in the bezel to try sinking the pearl down but I guess the depth of the pearl didn't allow it to sink down much. I then used a pearl from an old bezel I had hanging around from a vintage sub rep. Although I know this is not the same as the bezel pearl on the 126600, it sits flush to the bezel which is good. It's a rough job and if I'd gone straight to the vintage-type pearl, I probably wouldn't have needed to enlarge the hole, which would have made the whole thing neater.

Anyway, I'm wearing the watch as a beater and the size and general proportions feel great. When a more authentic rep emerges, I'll definitely be in line for one of those.

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing!  Props for taking the plunge despite the known issues with this rep... it certainly does look like a perfect size on your wrist, great wrist presence.  Also, I commend you for attempting to mod the pearl... I'm sure the next versions of this will be an improvement on the current's flaws, now we just have to wait and cross our fingers!