When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Sunglasses

r11co

I know we've done this discussion before, but I am interested in purchasing replica FRAMES only as my intention is to have lenses (prescription) fitted separately, so no issues of cheap crap lenses and lack of UV filtering.

Does anyone know of any suppliers???

I don't think you can buy "frames only" on reps.

No need to though; all floor-models at your optometrist will have plano (non-prescription) lenses in them; all non-prescription sunglasses do, rep or not. To them, the "reps" might as well be their in-house "gens", if you will. If it's a plastic frame, they simply pop out the planos, and pop in the prescription lenses, after the lab has ground & shaped them. If they're metal frames, they just remove the screws where the eye-wire meets the temple, insert the prescriptions, and screw them back together.

Don't buy lensless frames though--it will make it too hard (if not impossible) for their lab to cut new lenses to fit your frame shape exactly.

For instance, if the pair of frames you bring them to fit for you isn't a brand or style they stock, they simply pop out your plano lenses and insert them into a machine that reads their shape & size, so that it knows what size to grind your new lenses down to. If you don't need prescription (i.e. you're wearing contacts, behind plano sunglass lenses), they can also test any lens you give them to see if it's UV A & B resistant. If it's not, it's generally only $20 or so to have them soaked & coated for UV resistance.

I've bought a few pairs of mens & womens from this site, and they're very well built (2 pairs have lasted years with virtually no signs of wear)--as with any pair, just make sure you snug all the screws & nuts down:

http://mirror.replicasi.com/catalog.asp?CatID=00100005