When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Short Power Reserve

smart

I have a 2 week old ladies YM with a Eta mvt. Problem is that it will not last more than 8-9 hrs overnight after wearing all day. So I wind it and then it runs fine for 2-3 days. I emailed the dealer and he said it needs to be "broken in" like a car. The reserve has to be expanded with use. Any truth to this or am I always going to

have problems?

I have a 2 week old ladies YM with a Eta mvt. Problem is that it will not last more than 8-9 hrs overnight after wearing all day. So I wind it and then it runs fine for 2-3 days. I emailed the dealer and he said it needs to be "broken in" like a car. The reserve has to be expanded with use. Any truth to this or am I always going to

have problems?

An automatic movement requires movement of your wrist or hand to wind...if during wearing, you typically sit still say at a computer or doing some other activity that requires little wrist action, there is no winding going on...

Power reserve is directly proportional to amount of wind, which depends on how much the rotor has moved during wearing, no movement = no power reserve...

Has nothing to do with break in...

RG

An automatic movement requires movement of your wrist or hand to wind...if during wearing, you typically sit still say at a computer or doing some other activity that requires little wrist action, there is no winding going on...

If your watch isn't getting wound up enough, it's a sure sign you're not getting enough breaks from your computer. Get up and stretch your legs and wave your arms about.

ps. I'm only half-joking ...

is it actually a ladys ym?

I got one for my gf some time ago - same problem. it stayed longer at my friend (a watchsmith), than on her wrist.

the datewheel causes that problem. the ETA-mvmt doesn't have the correct size for the date-window. so they clued a "correct" one over it. The did not make a very good job though... :thumbdown:

Yes. it's a ladies YM with an Eta 2671-2. Hadn't wound it at night for 4 days and it died last night after sitting for 5 hours. I saw somewhere that the 2671-2 should have a power reserve of 40 hours. I would be happy with half that! My wife sits at a desk but she's always moving around. No less than me and I am at a desk lots. Is it time to push the dealer to take it back?