When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oddball Problem With Winding

Antonio

Recently got a new rep, with a 2824 movement. It won't stay wound on a winder (Same winder that winds my other reps perfectly). It does fine with my arm movements. So it stays wound on my wrist, but not on a winder. I sent it back once, the caseback was replaced. Anyone else ever known this, perhaps I should post it in the The Zigmeister Zone for more expert thoughts?

Recently got a new rep, with a 2824 movement. It won't stay wound on a winder (Same winder that winds my other reps perfectly). It does fine with my arm movements. So it stays wound on my wrist, but not on a winder. I sent it back once, the caseback was replaced. Anyone else ever known this, perhaps I should post it in the Ziggy Zone for more expert thoughts?

lots of possibilities. The rotor might be loose. Most cheap winders hold the watch at a 45 degree angle to the floor, not 90 degrees which is ideal for optimal winding. Another possibility is that your winder is not giving this movement the 650 turns per day this movement requires. The rotor can be poorly lubed so the gentle action of a winder doesnt overcome the friction but the more vigorous motion in wearing overcomes this.....

If it stays wound on your wrist and you can manually wind it, it's probably a rotor problem that's not very severe.

I have a winder that alternates, and it keeps my watches with 2836, 7750 and a 2671 (Lady Datejust) keeping good time. It is a 45 degree winder. But the fact that this watch in question doesn't wind properly on a winder (it just stopped on my wrist) makes me think the movement has an issue. I had it serviced when I ordered it, and have already taken the risk of sending it back once, got it back ok. But still not working properly. If I could put it on my wrist and get it started, I might consider accepting this flaw. But it seems to need more than that. I think there's something wrong with the movement and think it needs replacing.