When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Running A Little Hot...

dak244

Anyone else have this problem. I have read that there is the "break in" period, within the first 2 weeks or so, when the watch will run like this, but after that it will settle in. I guess I shouldn't be too worried if its running fast.. it's better than being slow.

Anyway, I just thought I would get other's experiences and thought about it. Thanks

20 seconds is nothing to be concerned with... depending on the movement, the factory specifications are no better than 20 seconds per 24 hours for many models, including most ETA's...

There is no such a thing as a "Break in" period. It's not a car engine but a watch. If this was true, I would have to keep each and every movement I service, in the shop and running for 2 weeks, and then time them before sending them out. I dont' do this, because there is no change from day 1 after service until about 3-5 years later when the oils dry up.

Break-in is a myth, nothing more.

RG

20 seconds is nothing to be concerned with... depending on the movement, the factory specifications are no better than 20 seconds per 24 hours for many models, including most ETA's...

There is no such a thing as a "Break in" period. It's not a car engine but a watch. If this was true, I would have to keep each and every movement I service, in the shop and running for 2 weeks, and then time them before sending them out. I dont' do this, because there is no change from day 1 after service until about 3-5 years later when the oils dry up.

Break-in is a myth, nothing more.

RG

Wow, I couldn't have been luckier to get a reply from The Zigmeister himself. I always appreciate your knowledge my friend!!! It's an asian not an ETA, so im sure its likely to be even less accurate, but no biggy. I can put up with it, I really wanted to know more or less for my own knowledge. Thanks The Zigmeister!

Perhaps the 'break-in period' myth is really more to do with your wearing habits of the watch. i.e. If the watch is observed as running fast/slow in any single position for a duration of, say for example, 24 hours, that same watch may exhibit a smaller (or maybe larger, depending on how well or poorly regulated the movement is) gain/loss while actually wearing the watch, as it is then in constant motion and in different dial up/down/left/right positions throughout the day/night with the arm's motion.

Wow, I couldn't have been luckier to get a reply from Ziggy himself. I always appreciate your knowledge my friend!!! It's an asian not an ETA, so im sure its likely to be even less accurate, but no biggy. I can put up with it, I really wanted to know more or less for my own knowledge. Thanks Ziggy!

I wouldn't go that far...just offering my point of view that's all...but thanks for the kind words.

Asian movement, I would say your doing great with it, and like ubi points out, it's got a lot to do with your wearing habits when you speak of break in. If for example your watch always ran +20 seconds per day, and I was living next door to you, I would adjust it to -20 seconds, and if we did it right, it would run perfect while you wear it. For someone else, it may need to be abjusted more or less than this value. I can't predict how a watch will run while being worn, but there are acceptable standards for timing that normally work out fine.

I time all watches dial up and dial down, and adjust them to +15/20 seconds per day, because most people while walking have their hands down by their sides, and in the crown down position, the watch will slow down a bit. So on average a +20 seconds a day rate - dial up and down - will nomally run close to perfect with normal regular use. But it all depends on what position your hands are in all day, and what they are doing as well, i.e. moving or stationary on a keyboard etc...

RG