When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-applying Unstuck Hour Marker On Po

dcrooz

Hey Guys,

I have a 4th gen PO and one of the hour markers has fallen away from its spot. I was going to send it to The Zigmeister but I guess maybe I should give it a go myself (The Zigmeister, you'll still get the PAM!!). I just have a feeling that it will be satisfying to try this myself, although I could of course completely [censored] up a very nice watch...

I've read Edge's tutorial (pinned above), how much does this method vary for an ETA 2824-2? Dis-assembling and re-assembling are the bits I'm most concerned about. Should I even be contemplating this or is it just beginners nerves?

I've gathered (thanks to Finepics in a previous thread) that the best way to pick up the hour marker would be with some bluetac on the end of a tooth pick, then a tiny spot of superglue on the hour place before replacing the marker will work. I know I have to cover the dial (what with? would an upturned glass work??) leave it dry for some time (18 hrs??) and then reassemble.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you fine members will be able to throw some advice my way before I commit to this minor (though major for me!) project.

Many thanks in advance for your comments and words of wisdom.

dcrooz

Guys, here's a picture of the movement - can anyone enlighten me - it doesn't have ETA markers on it... Anyway, the red line on the pic - is this where I have to press down to remove the stem? Should the stem be fully unscrewed and extended before doing this?

post-69-1171057222_thumb.jpg

Also, when replacing the stem, should I just push it back in to place (carefully of course)?

Many thanks

Read this first...

How to uncase...

NO Super glue, bad idea...epoxy is much better...

RG

EDIT, Stem in the WINDING position...

Thanks The Zigmeister, that's extremely helpful, thank you very much. Regarding watch paper - can I use anything else here? I suspect I won't be able to get any locally. And regarding the use of epoxy, can I use the JB Weld I have coming for the SMP bracelet fix?

Again, many thanks for your help.

dcrooz

JB weld is epoxy based and would work but it is an ugly grey and if you screw up in the slightest you have a grey blob on your watch. If you screw up with a clear epoxy, at least it will not be so noticable.

Use a loop for the process and a tiny amount of epoxy applied using the sharp tip of a toothpick. The loop is so that you can see that you only apply a tiny amount.

Usil

Edited by Usil