When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold Plating

tonyp1

I have read allot about gold reps having awful gold plating. While allot of times this is true what I've found with this TT SUB bracelet is that even when it does wear through its very hard to tell. Not like those cheap SEIKO gold watches that once it does happen you see bright stainless steel shining through the tarnished gold. I destroyed this band link with a dremel and a file you can see I took pictures in different light sources to try to expose the color difference. Really I could not tell I think this is mainly because the brass they are using is not the typical reddish hue but a very gold like yellow.

Edited by tonyp1

I have had very good experiences with my gold reps, and still have to see their gold plating erased.

I bought a TT submariner to River about 7 years ago (supposedly one of those called "tripple wrapped") and it is almost as first day, even when i have polished gold parts maybe every 3-4 months since then (very carefully, of course).

The more I look at this whatever material their using its not sandwiched its solid. So this is not plated its something else. I recent found out from the guys at Finest rolex forum that rolex only uses around 30 grams of actual gold content on a TT. Thats only slightly more than 1 ounce. One ounce of gold is $657.50 but rolex is charging $2650 extra for the TT version.

Edited by tonyp1

I guess this is what is considered solid gold 14k mid links by rep standards. The gold is close in color and to really tell a difference you have to put it next to a gen 18k TT. Im told that a gen Rolex band has around 9 grams of 18k in the MID LINKS. 18k is 75% gold content and at around $19.00 per gram Rolex has something like $150/160 of 18k gold in a gen mid links depending on market prices. Again I cant say what they have in the SELs. So if 14k is only 58% gold content the reps have around $95 to $105 in gold content. Again this is all theory lol.

Edited by tonyp1

I guess this is what is considered solid gold 14k mid links by rep standards. The gold is close in color to really tell a difference you have to put it next to a gen 18k TT. Im told that a gen Rolex band has around 9 grams of 18k in the MID LINKS. 18k is 75% gold content and at around $19.00 per gram Rolex has something like $150/160 of 18k gold in a gen mid links depending on market prices. Again I cant say what they have in the SELs. So if 14k is only 58% gold content the reps have around $95 to $105 in gold content. Again this is all theory lol.

Also, a while back, one of the watch magazines ran a piece that sort of bemoaned the markups watch companies enjoy on their gold watches and pointed out that gold was actually cheaper to maufacture than SS--for all we know Rolex saves the $150 in gold costs during their manufacturing process, making the gold markup pure profit.

I guess this is what is considered solid gold 14k mid links by rep standards. The gold is close in color to really tell a difference you have to put it next to a gen 18k TT. Im told that a gen Rolex band has around 9 grams of 18k in the MID LINKS. 18k is 75% gold content and at around $19.00 per gram Rolex has something like $150/160 of 18k gold in a gen mid links depending on market prices. Again I cant say what they have in the SELs. So if 14k is only 58% gold content the reps have around $95 to $105 in gold content. Again this is all theory lol.

Yes, you are right. Now adapt those prices to Asian market and the real cost is about $28 to $32 gold cost for 14k after jeweller benefit.

I have had very good experiences with my gold reps, and still have to see their gold plating erased.

I bought a TT submariner to River about 7 years ago (supposedly one of those called "tripple wrapped") and it is almost as first day, even when i have polished gold parts maybe every 3-4 months since then (very carefully, of course).

What do you use to polish the gold plating? is there anything?

What do you use to polish the gold plating? what really works??

What do you use to polish the gold plating? is there anything?

What do you use to polish the gold plating? what really works??

Use a jeweler's cloth with rouge already imbedded. Do not use polishing solutions for metals. It's too abrasive. A very small amount of "Barkeepers Friend" on a moistened cloth rubbed very gently does wonders to revive gold plate. You can't actually "polish" gold plate without quickly abrading it off. Don't get too crazy about cleaning plated watches. Every so often, I clean my watches with a soft cloth that has a little glass cleaner sprayed on it and that's it.