When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question About My Smp

SportsterRider

I recently picked up a Bond SMP (thanks Neb!) from a fellow board member and have a question. This is an older version with pins in the band. It's around one year old and was originally purchased from Angus. My question relates to the movement; it is my understanding that most of these came with the 2824-2 ETA, but I've noticed something with this watch that makes me think it's either a 2892 or a Seagull movement. A few years ago I owned a gen SMP. Unlike the 28xx movements, the date change on my gen SMP wasn't exactly immediate. At about 11:45, the date would move about 1/4 of the way to the next date and stay there until it 'snapped' to the next day at roughly midnight. The 2892 is the only movement I've seen that operates like that. I was up late a couple nights ago and noticed that my new-to-me rep SMP does the exact same thing. Instead of just snapping to the next date, it starts to move a bit ~15 minutes before midnight, stops, and then snaps to the next date at roughly midnight.

How common was it to have a Seagull or gen 2892 in a SMP rep 1-1.5 years ago? If this were any other watch, I'd just pop the caseback and look for myself, but I don't have an Omega caseback remover and I don't want to scratch the caseback using a standard tool (and it's on too tight for the duct tape method).

Also, has anyone ever modified the crown guard to look more like the gen? It looks to me like the biggest difference is the center/top of the CG where it meets the bezel. The gen has a deeper 'cut' that exposes most/all of the crown. It looks like it'd be fairly 'simple' to remove some material on this rep to make it look exactly like a gen. I've never done this type of modification, so I was wondering if anyone else had done it and what they used (I have read a bit about the Sub CG mods).

TIA!

SR

That rep never came with the Seagull or ETA 2892, it was the 007 version (which pre dated this by a few months) that did. I have the same watch, bought the day it appeared on the market. It will probably have an ETA 2824. It's probably a quirk that your date change is like that. My ultimate PO does the same thing, but none of my other ETA watches do, and i've had the back of pretty much all of them.

I can't remember anyone modding the crown guards, but i do remember someone cutting down the rep crown, to make it shorter and look more like the gen. I can't remember his nick (it began with a P iirc), or even if he made the move here from RWG 1.

edit: The member was Pip.

Edited by bigpops