When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Sturdy Are Mechanical Watches?

Rob1

how fast does he hit the ball? 100mph?

Tiger Woods' driver clubhead speed is about 125-130 mph. The ball's initial velocity is about 180 mph. Assuming that you have one of the hardest slapshots in the world, then that puck's flying at about 105 mph. However, I have no doubt that your watch will feel as much pain as Tiger's :black_eye:

Tell ya what... how fast does he hit the ball? 100mph? I have hockey practice today and I'm wearing a genuine 7750 based chrono. I'll wear it during practice and let you know if slapshots at -10F hurt it. I bet I can hit the puck almost as fast as he can hit a golf ball.

Zdeno Chara hit 101 in the skills competition. If you can do that I'll be impressed.

I gotta imagine that the hardest hit golf ball can't come close to the average slap shot as far as shock transfered to the wrist though. I think cracking a speeding baseball with an aluminum bat is probably right up there too. I think people abuse their mechanical watches like this every day without thought. If it was that bad for them I think it'd be well known and undisputed by now. Quartz watches came out in the 70s didn't they? What were they wearing during the first 2 world wars...and not to mention the building of the Empire State building, 75+ years of professional hockey, etc.

Canal street reps won't take a jog to the corner store sometimes...but the better built watches are goping to be just fine.

Disclaimer: My blood pressure gets up when I get a 2mm scratch on any of my watches, and I think i'd have a heart attack if my watches got a scratch like some of the ones nanuq puts on his watches on purpose.

I'd never ski with anything but a watch designated for destruction, which for me is a Poljot powered 163 or 47 or whatever its supposed to be. As far as the mechanics, that thing has survived repeated and sometimes intentional abuse and still keeps near COSC time. Looks like [censored] though.