When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Now This Is Gonna Be Tricky

lionsandtigers

So, i was lucky enough to get a gen 16800 sub dial, and i have had the gen insert for quite some time now.

So, now i need to decied on a case.

The 16800 was from what i know, the same dimensions as the 1680, just updated with a sapphire crystal and a 3035 movement (datewheel still has the open 6 and 9). My thought was to convert my 1680 mbw with a sapphire conversion kit. The 16800 also still had the bi-directional bezel, so other then the plastic crystal, the 1680 case seems to be the way to go.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Guest submersible24g

not exactly.

the 16800's were a mixed batch of watches. some had 1680 cases, some had different dials, some had early 16610 style cases. some had old date wheels and some new.

i personally have seen a 16800 up close and completely disassembled it to clean and restore for a buddy of mine. it was a 16800 case made lik ethe 16610. unidirectional bezel setup like the 16610. sapphire crystal. what made this one the transitional was the dial. it was a matte black dial with the older 1680 fonts but with metal surround indices and tritium lume. there were some 16800 dials that had painted markers instead of metal indices. this one had the newer closed date fonts as well with the 3035 cal movement. it took a standard 16610 bezel insert. the crown was a triplock setup as well.

what was interesting was the case and bezel, even though in 16610 form, were thinner than the newer 16610 case/bezels. it was the size of the 14060 case/bezel. the rehaut was shallow and the bezel was as thin as a 1680.