When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap Tools

E J

Hi, I just placed my first order of tools from Ofrei last friday, but I forgot to include a couple of tools (go easy on me I'm a newbie buying his first tools).

I followed The Zigmeister's advice and went for quality, bergeon screwdriversm LG case back opener etc. But the ones I forgot were a movement holder and a dust blower.

So I was wondering, I totally understand going for qualitity on tools like screwdrivers, case openers, tweezers, etc. But Which tools are we ok buying cheap?

I mean for example, I just got a deal from ebay for 3 comparmented dust covers for $8 when in ofrei they are $5 so I saved $7 :thumbsupsmileyanim: , and I bet in a dust blower or a movement holder the quality is not that important. Am I right or am I missing something? Which other tools wouldn't affect if they were not the best quality?

Thanks!

Hi, I just placed my first order of tools from Ofrei last friday, but I forgot to include a couple of tools (go easy on me I'm a newbie buying his first tools).

I followed The Zigmeister's advice and went for quality, bergeon screwdriversm LG case back opener etc. But the ones I forgot were a movement holder and a dust blower.

So I was wondering, I totally understand going for qualitity on tools like screwdrivers, case openers, tweezers, etc. But Which tools are we ok buying cheap?

I mean for example, I just got a deal from ebay for 3 comparmented dust covers for $8 when in ofrei they are $5 so I saved $7 :thumbsupsmileyanim: , and I bet in a dust blower or a movement holder the quality is not that important. Am I right or am I missing something? Which other tools wouldn't affect if they were not the best quality?

Thanks!

Any bulb type dust blower works. I use one from a camera lens cleaning kit. As far as movement holders go, I found Bergeon holders on EBay for lower than OFrei prices.

I think you did right to buy quality tools. Cheap tools usually don't save you any money, as in the end, you replace them for good ones anyhow. I have purchased a cheap Bergeon clone spring bar tool, and half of the small fork broke the 2nd time I used it. It's still usable, but when I get a chance I will replace it.

Thanks guys, yeah I guess maybe the movement holder isn't a good idea to buy cheap-

I saw the same cheap bergeon movement holders in ebay, but for the price I think they may be fakes. is it possible that they are fake? I mean I haven't got anything against fake watches :thumbsupsmileyanim: but even if the watches are replica a movement is a movement even if the watch costs $200 or $2000 and I don't want to to screw it up buy using fake tools of unknown quality.... Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, yeah I guess maybe the movement holder isn't a good idea to buy cheap-

I saw the same cheap bergeon movement holders in ebay, but for the price I think they may be fakes. is it possible that they are fake? I mean I haven't got anything against fake watches :thumbsupsmileyanim: but even if the watches are replica a movement is a movement even if the watch costs $200 or $2000 and I don't want to to screw it up buy using fake tools of unknown quality.... Any thoughts?

The Bergeon holders I bought off EBay work fine. They're stamped with Bergeon part numbers and came in the familiar Bergeon packaging. I suppose they could be fakes, though I guess I wouldn't know the difference.