When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going For That Vintage Look

smalls

Once Chinese New Year settles down I'm looking to purchase a 1680 and love what a lot of you guys have done with your watches. Being my second rep I'm really a virgin to the ways of making a watch look "beat up" or vintage. I know a few things, like how to fade the insert, but I don't know how to get the insert off. Also, how do you guys slightly scratch the crystal so that it's not too damaged and still is in good shape? I guess what I'm asking is how do I give my watch that, I've been worn for 10-15yrs. and still going strong, look? I appreciate any help you all can give me and thanks for allowing me to be apart of this great forum.

Guest chronomat123

Good choice. I would contact RBJ, he is a well respected watch modifier on these boards. I've seen him do great work on "aging" the steel cases of Rolex sports watches. If you were to try it yourself, I recommend you purchase a Dremel handpiece with all of the polishing attachments, as well as a few Scotchbrite dish sponges with the green abrasive on one side and the yellow sponge on the other. I can expound further on how to do this if you'd like, but I think your best bet would be to send it to someone like RBJ.