When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Homer

t

Good catch. I recognize the crown. I bought a couple from him and am going to have Ziggy mount one or two up. The crown looks good but you shoud be aware that it has 48 tines rather than the 60 on a gen thus it looks a little more primitive than the gen. AThe case looks like an A-G case with shallower back. The other question is how the holes on the case are drilled. I would guess it is for manuals since he sells manual watches complete with Unitas movements. But I do hope someone has bought one.

Good catch. I recognize the crown. I bought a couple from him and am going to have The Zigmeister mount one or two up. The crown looks good but you shoud be aware that it has 48 tines rather than the 60 on a gen thus it looks a little more primitive than the gen. AThe case looks like an A-G case with shallower back. The other question is how the holes on the case are drilled. I would guess it is for manuals since he sells manual watches complete with Unitas movements. But I do hope someone has bought one.

I have one of his complete watches with swiss movement. See link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/UNITAS-ETA-6497-WATCH-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think the case is the same on my watch as the one being sold separately, or at least everything from the pictures is the same including the number of tines on the crown. I dont know how holes are normally drilled on all PAMs but on this one it is like a long screw. You push it in from the right (asuming that you have the watch is you are wearing it) and then the threads are on the left lug. I have changed straps a couple of times and not experienced any problems. In general the watch gives a very solid and well made impression. What surprised me a little is that it has a swiss movement ETA/Unitas 6497 but the cannon pin is the way it should be ie goes all the way up not leaving a little hole in the center of the arm. I thought only Davidsen was able to arrange that on the Swiss made 6497. In general I like it, so I am also considering buying the equivalent Titan version. The titan version is a bit pricy though (180£, around 370 usd) so maybe I will go for a Davidsen 177 instead for the same money. We'll see.......

Edited by mrnixon

I have one of his complete watches with swiss movement. See link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/UNITAS-ETA-6497-WATCH-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think the case is the same on my watch as the one being sold separately, or at least everything from the pictures is the same including the number of tines on the crown. I dont know how holes are normally drilled on all PAMs but on this one it is like a long screw. You push it in from the right (asuming that you have the watch is you are wearing it) and then the threads are on the left lug. I have changed straps a couple of times and not experienced any problems. In general the watch gives a very solid and well made impression. What surprised me a little is that it has a swiss movement ETA/Unitas 6497 but the cannon pin is the way it should be ie goes all the way up not leaving a little hole in the center of the arm. I thought only Davidsen was able to arrange that on the Swiss made 6497. In general I like it, so I am also considering buying the equivalent Titan version. The titan version is a bit pricy though (180£, around 370 usd) so maybe I will go for a Davidsen 177 instead for the same money. We'll see.......

the cannon pin is a common modification which involves swapping the cannon pin and hour wheel parts and cutting the hands down a bit. alot of davidsen's are standard "modded" but all unitas asian and swiss can be modded the same by myself, The Zigmeister, vaccum,and many others here on the forum. it's a mod that you can not live without when you see the difference you cannot wear a pam with a recessed pin ever again......ever!

the cannon pin is a common modification which involves swapping the cannon pin and hour wheel parts and cutting the hands down a bit. alot of davidsen's are standard "modded" but all unitas asian and swiss can be modded the same by myself, The Zigmeister, vaccum,and many others here on the forum. it's a mod that you can not live without when you see the difference you cannot wear a pam with a recessed pin ever again......ever!

Ok, thanks. I have seen the instructions here on the page how to change the cannon pin. I got the impression that when it comes to Swiss Etas it is almost only Davidsen who allways modifies the watches he sells (and lately some of Joshuas models) and that the rest usually sold it with the shorter cannon pin, but that some of the Asian ETAs had the longer cannon pin as standard so therefore if I see eg a PAM 111 with a short canon pin it usually has a Swiss and if it is long it is Chinese (with a number of exceptions of course).

To be honest the long cannon pin was also one reason for me to wait a little bit with buying a second titan version of the same watch. I really want a Swiss Eta in my watch but when I saw the long canon pinn it made me a bit reluctant (given the cases discussed here at the forum with claimed Swiss which turned out to be Chinese) and my watch needs to be looked after by a watch maker anyways. I therefore decided to wait until my watch maker can confirm that it is a gen Swiss movement until I decide so I am 100% sure. Not to stir up any rumours I would like to underline that I have only good experience from Homer and he really seems to know what he is doing so I have absolutely nothing at all to complain about and also his name was never mentioned as one of the ones lying. But after all the discussions I still thought "better safe than sorry" so I will decide after my watch maker has looked at my present one.

They look really good. I guess I am bit odd but on this type of watch, a tool watch, I prefer the rough no-nonsence design of a non decorated Eta straight out of the box. It gives it more of a military feeling. Although a non decorated movement does not at all look like the Panerai, I think it suits this type of watch. Actually the same was the reason why I bought a watch without any Panerai text. I think it looks cooler without.

On the other hand I am very concerned with the quality (ie reliability, that it keeps time etc). When you write quality, do you refer to the looks (ie decoration) or do you also mean that it is better assebled, has better components etc?

I sell swiss movements

and i have a 100% swiss Unitas in much better quality (decorated) + cannion pin from Davidsen

her pics (for more pics look my photoalbum)

• 2 weeks later...