When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F.a Johns Skeleton Quality And Upgrades

wadan

Hi mates ,

I just ordered the F.A Johns Skeleton,

And I would like to make some mods to upgrade the appearance and feel of the watch ,

Other than the obvious of putting a nice corc strap , what do you think can I make to upgrade it ?

Would appreciate your opinions and pictures :)

Thanks and cheers

IWC skeleton has very cheap quality... especially the glass (Josh and Trusty call it synthetic saphir, but i call it SH*T)

and the hands set are HORRIBLE

Ok...I totally agree with you about the crystal. I am sure the crystal can be replaced with genuine sapphire, but does anyone know the size?

I too would be interested in modding my non-skeleton F.A. Jones...

Ok...I totally agree with you about the crystal. I am sure the crystal can be replaced with genuine sapphire, but does anyone know the size?

I too would be interested in modding my non-skeleton F.A. Jones...

Have not found a saphire with correct size for FA Jones. My River FA Jones has a good glass crystal; I don't see anything wrong with it. Tourby called it SH*T :bicycle: , or at least Josh and Andrew's version. But not all are the same.

Have not found a saphire with correct size for FA Jones. My River FA Jones has a good glass crystal; I don't see anything wrong with it. Tourby called it SH*T :bicycle: , or at least Josh and Andrew's version. But not all are the same.

Olivia

i am worry, because the old Jones version (with undecorated swiss unitas) has a very nice sapphire glass. When you see this old version with new version (without sapphire) side by side... you will see a BIG difference.

Why they don

Olivia

i am worry, because the old Jones version (with undecorated swiss unitas) has a very nice sapphire glass. When you see this old version with new version (without sapphire) side by side... you will see a BIG difference.

Why they don

My question is - can you tell the difference between the sapphire crystal and the non-sapphire just by looking? If the answer is no, I can't see the problem. None of the FA Jones reps have even the remotest chance of passing for gen when someone is handling them, due to the general finish and feel (not to mention they are generally made of the wrong metal). If the difference is just weight/feel to the touch, then there is little point buying a new crystal.

it is a big differece between old Jones (with undecorated swiss movement and sapphire) and new Jones (with decorated asian movement and mineral)

1. the weight is different... swiss version weight more

2. the quality of glass is different... when you see both side by side... you see the difference quality of glass PROMPT

i have purchased 20 IWC Jones watches... i buy this watches and use it for spare parts for my customized watches. I remove the movements (skeleton) or use the case for projects.

skeleton Jones are all same with cheap case (thinner 8mm) and cheap mineral glass. F.A. Jones are in 2 different versions... with swiss (sapphire) or asian (mineral)

i know what i say... belive me friends.

Like I said earlier, the weight is not relevant, because by the time you have it in your hands and are able to judge the weight, the other differences become obvious. Are there any photos that show the difference between the mineral and the sapphire glass? Does the sapphire have A/R coating, or are they both clear?

Like I said earlier, the weight is not relevant, because by the time you have it in your hands and are able to judge the weight, the other differences become obvious. Are there any photos that show the difference between the mineral and the sapphire glass? Does the sapphire have A/R coating, or are they both clear?

Hi

sorry i have sold all swiss case with sapphire... can

I purchased Paul's FA skeleton. He advestised sapphire on the website and it does indeed seem sapphire (water bead test). Looking at Paul's price in comparison to Josh's, it does seem higher quality due to Paul's pricing scheme. Paul marks it as 44 mm while the other dealers are 42 mm.

-bosk

I would not invest a lot of time or effort into the decorated movement version. Actually I find neither the FA Jones nor the Portuguese Chrono reps very impressive. They feel cheap - at least the decorated movement version on the FA. I have tried on the gen FA and it is light years better. Another example of trying to improve the aesthetics and sacraficing everything else.

it is a big differece between old Jones (with undecorated swiss movement and sapphire) and new Jones (with decorated asian movement and mineral)

1. the weight is different... swiss version weight more

2. the quality of glass is different... when you see both side by side... you see the difference quality of glass PROMPT

i have purchased 20 IWC Jones watches... i buy this watches and use it for spare parts for my customized watches. I remove the movements (skeleton) or use the case for projects.

skeleton Jones are all same with cheap case (thinner 8mm) and cheap mineral glass. F.A. Jones are in 2 different versions... with swiss (sapphire) or asian (mineral)

i know what i say... belive me friends.

Here's a Jones watch that toury made for me. Look close and you can see the differences.

post-4958-1173042484_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1173042499_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1173042506_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1173042514_thumb.jpg

Here's a Jones watch that toury made for me. Look close and you can see the differences.

I am not the expert on FA Jones, as Tourby is, but my River FA Jones(not skeleton), is probably one of the best rep watches I have, quality wise. The chinese 6497 runs great and keeps COSC time at +4 seconds per 24 hours. It also has greater than 48 hours reserve. I left it fully wound Friday at 12 noon....went away for the weekend, came back Sunday at 2:30 PM and it was still running with correct time. Now, I have had a couple of watches, non-rep, with the Unitas 6498 and this watch runs far better than any of the gens I have had with the unitas movement. Just my experience.

Edited by olivia

Do you mean swiss from the regular dealers, or just custom swiss as you make? Tourby, do you have a source for saphire for FA Jones. I don't believe any watch supply houses carry one. Maybe I am wrong!

i mean the swiss version from regular dealers cost $250 (with $70 undecorated Unitas inside)

the customized watch for Tim is a different area. It is the swiss version with solid case + sapphire and has genuine alligator strap ($100) swiss made deployant buckle ($40) and a decorated swiss movement ($229) and the blue gears are flame blued by hand from Jochen Benzinger (extra $120 and exclusive ONLY available from me worldwide).

But it is a watch for lifetime.

regards

tourby

i mean the swiss version from regular dealers cost $250 (with $70 undecorated Unitas inside)

the customized watch for Tim is a different area. It is the swiss version with solid case + sapphire and has genuine alligator strap ($100) swiss made deployant buckle ($40) and a decorated swiss movement ($229) and the blue gears are flame blued by hand from Jochen Benzinger (extra $120 and exclusive ONLY available from me worldwide).

regards

tourby

I agree...it is really a noce watch. Sending you a message.

Now that is an amazing movement. I had seen those in your photobucket...you have a gold one too, don't you?

they are all SOLD out. It was a limited Edition and i had only 20 movements... but could sell 100pieces if i had.

but i have new Limited Unitas comming soon with swan neck and in PVD color... build from Soprod/Swiss (this factory overwork also movements for Chronoswiss, Sinn, Maurice Lacroix etc)

• 1 year later...

regards

tourby